QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
frednadeau
First post

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by frednadeau »

I have the same issue with my TVS-872XT and iMac Pro and it is very annoying. Can't wait for this to be fixed!
rowante
First post

Re: QNAP NAS Thunderbolt Connection Disappears After Waking my Mac Pro From Sleep

Post by rowante »

Being unaware of this issue I upgraded my MBP to Big Sur. Now after months of trouble free TB3 connection to my TS-453BT3 in Catalina I am having disconnection issues too.

Big Sur was totally unusable for me, the TB3 connection would fail and a refresh wouldn't reestablish the connection, I would physically have to disconnect and replug the cable to get it back or reboot. I tried resetting SMB and PRAM, nothing. Never mind I thought, I'll just go back to Catalina, but the issue continues running Catalina again. It's slightly different in that I don't have to reconnect the cable, the connection drops, then Qfinder prompts to reconnect with network credentials and the volume mounting window. When left alone, there will be many instances of these prompts stacked up.

This is really frustrating, I've had to down-grade to editing with my gaming PC via 1 gbe.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

or do TB3 to 10GbE on the MAC .. your NAS has both TB3 and 10GbE
kuau714
Starting out

Post by kuau714 »

Same issue with my M1 Mac mini the TB3 connection does not stay connected then I can't even get it to reconnect whether I pull the TB3 cable from the NAS or not.. It just disappears.
Funny thing is on Windows 10 Pro TB3 networking does not work either... Yo have to wonder who came up with TB3 networking in the first place....
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no I meant a TB3 to 10Gbe adapter

e.g.
https://www.sonnettech.com/product/solo ... rview.html
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

from the early days of AVID Media Composer networking, everyone in the pro video industry has been told to disable sleep functions on their computers. And this was back with Fiber channel to a Brocade switch. This continued with every shared storage system for video professionals - disable all sleep functions. When I setup a QNAP, I only use 10G, I disable all sleep functions on both the QNAP (under hardware - where it defaults to spin down after 30 minutes), and on the computers - be it Mac or PC. As for Thunderbolt from your Mac to the QNAP - well - QNAP promotes this all the time, and in real life (not just demonstrations) - I never have success with this, so I always use 10G connection. Got a Thunderbolt 3 port ? Get a QNAP QNA-T310G1T ($183 on Amazon) and no more issues.

As for SMB dismounts from the MAC to the QNAP, I have posted the fix for this in Catalina, which is a known issue, and is no longer an issue in Big Sur. A Mac connected to ANY NAS over SMB with macOS 10.15 will periodically disconnect, unless you do this -
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202528

For the guy with the iMac Pro - simply plug your native 10G Ethernet port on your iMac Pro into the 10G port on the TVS-872XT (ethernet 1) and your problems are gone. Turn off sleep mode, and you will now get 800 - 900 MB/sec
connection speed from your iMac Pro if you have 8 7200 RPM drives in a single RAID group.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Magnetize
New here

Post by Magnetize »

I have finally found a workaround to this issue when my iMac 2017 27" wakes up from sleep and is unable to connect to my QNAP (TVS-872XT) via Thunderbolt 3. The workaround solution is to SSH into your QNAP device as an admin. Then run the commands below to stop your Thunderbolt service, wait a few seconds, and then start the Thunderbolt service back up again. There is a restart option as well, but it does not work reliably because I don't believe it waits long enough between stop and start. Nevertheless, after I run the commands below my iMac is able to reconnect to QNAP via Thunderbolt successfully 100% of the time.

> ../etc/init.d/thunderbolt.sh stop
[Wait a few seconds]
> ../etc/init.d/thunderbolt.sh start

BTW, I have found a way to automate the entire process. So now every time I wake my iMac from sleep, it will automatically check my connection to QNAP via Thunderbolt. If its not connected, it will stop and start the Thunderbolt interface on QNAP and then re-establish the connection. All completely automated. If anyone is interested, I can do a quick write-up and post back.

Hope this helps! Glad I was able to solve this for myself and hope it helps everyone else too!
eilko
New here

Post by eilko »

Magnetize wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:13 am BTW, I have found a way to automate the entire process. So now every time I wake my iMac from sleep, it will automatically check my connection to QNAP via Thunderbolt. If its not connected, it will stop and start the Thunderbolt interface on QNAP and then re-establish the connection. All completely automated. If anyone is interested, I can do a quick write-up and post back.

Hope this helps! Glad I was able to solve this for myself and hope it helps everyone else too!
yes, this works! thanks. I would be happy when you share you way of automating this.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Magnetize,
As the OP on this thread, I am very definitely interested in the full procedure for automatically checking the connection to my TVS-872XT NAS via Thunderbolt and, if it is not connected, starting and stopping the Thunderbolt interface on the QNAP and re-establishing the connection. Thank you for your previous post, and I look forward to your posting the full automated procedure. Both QNAP and Apple owe you a big thanks!
Tom
Magnetize
New here

Post by Magnetize »

Hi Everyone!

I have uploaded the scripts to Github to automate restoring the QNAP Thunderbolt connection when Mac wakes up from sleep. Please review and share any feedback. Hope this helps!

Github Link:
https://github.com/gamster17/AppletoQNAPThunderbolt

This is the Full Write-Up with Instructions:
https://github.com/gamster17/AppletoQNA ... eep_FM.pdf

Sincerely,

Fernando M.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Magnetize,
Thank you for the wonderful job of finding a solution to this vexing problem and for taking the time to present it so clearly. I look forward to implementing your scripts, and I greatly appreciate your taking the time to resolve and issue that neither QNAP or Apple seem to have any desire to do.
Tom
galosu82
Starting out

Post by galosu82 »

I'm having a similar issue. I have a MacBook Pro 16". Before installing Big Sur, everything worked perfectly fine. After installing Big Sur, I need to disconnect and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable to get the connection with my QNAP TVS-672XT working. I hope someone at Apple or at QNAP would solve that annoying issue.
ricoba
New here

Post by ricoba »

Good news.

https://www.qnap.com/en/release-notes/q ... 4/20210302

// Fixed Issues

Thunderbolt connection between the NAS and the Mac would be interrupted if the Mac entered sleep mode for more than 10 minutes. //
Topher5
First post

Post by Topher5 »

Temporary fix is to install Amphetamine app and turn on drive Alive function for the QNAP Home folder.
Bengaldad
Starting out

Post by Bengaldad »

Apple solved this problem with the release of Mac OS 11.2. However, with the release of Mac OS 11.3 Apple completely broke Thunderbolt over I.P. such that I cannot even connect my QNAP TVS-872XT with Thunderbolt to my Mac Pro 7.1. When Thunderbolt is connected to my Mac Pro running 11.3 Big Sur, the Mac Pro will not even boot. The same thing happened when I updated my iNac Pro to 11.3. I solved the problem with both of my Macs by reverting to earlier versions of Mac OS.

Tom

Return to “Mac OS”