TS-253D / Big Sur File Transfer Speed Issues

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
nolaquen
New here

TS-253D / Big Sur File Transfer Speed Issues

Post by nolaquen »

I'm about ready to tear out hair trying to troubleshoot some speed issues I'm having with a new NAS (and a new switch). I'm hoping someone here sees something obvious I've missed.

Equipment:
TS-253D, 2x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 8TB drives (7200rpm) in RAID 0
Mac Mini (2018 model, i7, 10gb NIC)
Ubiquiti network gear (Dream Machine Pro, Unifi Aggregation Switch, Unifi gen1 24-port switch)

Setup: I have both my Mac Mini and the TS-253D connected to the aggregation switch via rj45 SFP+ adapters. The NAS connects at 2.5gbps, and my Mac connects at 10gbps. Other devices are connected to the various switches. I'm starting with a factory reset NAS. All I've done is setup the drives, turn off a few unneeded services, and setup some shares.

From my Mac, using Blackmagicdesign disk speed test, I get about 270MB/s read across a network share using SMB 3. I figure the read is basically maxing out the drives. Write is anywhere between 10MB/s and 80MB/s, but usually on the low end. Using AFP, I get about 60-70MB/s write, and 270MB/s read. A windows machine on gigabit gets about 110MB/s read and write, pretty well saturating its connection. If I put the NAS and the Mac both on the gigabit switch, it also gets about 110MB/s read and write.

Complicating the troubleshooting, the aggregation switch (8x SFP+ ports) is new as well, and the Mac and NAS are my only faster-than-gigabit devices.

So I feel like I've narrowed it down to
  • Something about the interaction between my Mac and the NAS doesn't like to happen at line speeds greater than 1gbps
  • Something's wrong with the switch
  • Something's wrong with the SFP+ modules I used (Wiitek from the ServeTheHome guide
  • Something else I'm missing completely
The one thing I have pointing at the SFP+ modules is that if I try to put one in the DreaM Machine Pro SFP+ slot, with one device on that and one device on the native gigabit ports, I have the same issues (isolating away from the aggregation switch). I have a total of three of the SFP+ modules on hand, and have switched them around in various ports and connecting to various devices - that doesn't seem to change anything.

Apologies for the long post, but like I said, I'm hoping someone sees something obvious here. It's been a long day of troubleshooting. Thanks!
nolaquen
New here

Re: TS-253D / Big Sur File Transfer Speed Issues

Post by nolaquen »

Turns out, it's the switch interacting with the SFP+ module. If anyone else finds this, see if your switch can set an egress speed limit on the port that matches the NAS's ethernet speed.
KaplanDesign
First post

Re: TS-253D / Big Sur File Transfer Speed Issues

Post by KaplanDesign »

I have a NEW MacMini with M1 Chip, cannot connect to my TS-469L QNAP NAS, Tried Chrome Fails with Time out! Tried Safari Fails with Time out. only able to connect via WiFi with my iPhone XR. spoke to second-level Apple support about this they said it's a QNAP Issue! I believe it's the 64Bit M1 Chip and BigSur OS that won't let allow me to connect! Never had any issue with my Older 2012 MacMini with Intel Chip running Mavericks connecting to my NAS!

I have a CAT6 network in my house my NAS is connected via CAT6 wiring to my Wifi Router to its (4) port built-in HUB. both my MAC and iPhone are WiFi connected

Perhaps the newest QNAP will work?

anyone have any experience getting your NAS to connect via your Safari or Chrome Browser with 64Bit BigSur?

Return to “Mac OS”