iMac can't connect to SMB-Folder on TS-932X using Big Sur

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Vincens
New here

iMac can't connect to SMB-Folder on TS-932X using Big Sur

Post by Vincens »

Hi there,
we are a small video studio and habe a TS-932X with a 10G-Ethernet Connection to all our Macs. Since updating to Big Sur, something weird happens. Our iMac Pro connects to the QNAP without any issues, using AFP and SMB. Another iMac connects without issues using AFP, but using SMB, every folder mounts except the one relevant. If we try to connect to that one, an error message appears "An error occurred while trying to connect to 192.168...". We use the except same QNAP-user on both machines, so it cannot be a rights / access-issue. It has to do something with either the iMac / macOS or the QNAP? Both QNAP and the iMac run the latest OS.

Attached a few screenshot. Would appreciate greatly any help!
Thanks in advance,
Vincens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
torch1
Know my way around

Re: iMac can't connect to SMB-Folder on TS-932X using Big Sur

Post by torch1 »

Big Sur does not "officially" support AFP https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp3015/mac
Suggest you disable AFP on the QNAP and see if that solves your issue.
Vincens
New here

Post by Vincens »

Thanks for your reply. AFP works great though, SMB has the issue.
Codexaudio
New here

Post by Codexaudio »

Same issue, afp works smb doesn't, Big Sur 11.2.3, 872xt firmware 4.5.2. Spoke to Apple didn't really get anywhere. osx 10.14 works no problem.
Did you get resolution?

I can connect to other smb shares with Big Sur, not the qnap shares.
paulgolden
New here

Post by paulgolden »

Same issue. I've got a TVS-672XT on firmware 4.5.3.1652. On Big Sur 11.3.1. Qfinder 7.4.5

Through the Qfinder App, I can connect to shares using AFP, but SMB doesn't work on my iMac Pro. On my MacPro, I can connect to the same shares using SMB no problem. Both Macs are connected via Thunderbolt 3 to the same NAS.

On my iMac Pro, I get as far as seeing all of the various shares that and when I select one or more to mount, I get this error:

"There was a problem connecting to the server "XX.X.XX.XXX". Check the server name or IP address and then try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator."

The AFP mounts fine, but I'm aware that AFP has been deprecated and I can't run Final Cut Pro unless I used SMB.

The other problem I was having is with Login on the Qfinder: I was getting certificate issues until I clicked through the security stuff. Now it works without issue.

Not sure how I can mount these shares otherwise.
Vincens
New here

Post by Vincens »

Yes, that’s exactly my problem. Have no solution so far..
paulgolden
New here

Post by paulgolden »

I talked to QNAP support today and I got mine working this way through some trial and error:

1) In the Qfinder App, go to Login

2) Go to Main Page/"Control Panel"

3) In "Privilege" (middle area) select "Shared Folders"

4) There should be a list of your volumes there. Under "Action" buttons on the far right, select "Edit Shared Folder Permissions" (middle button)

5) Under "Select Permission Type", use pull down to select "Microsoft Networking host access"

6) Under "Host/IP/Network" look and see if there are any IP address associated with this volume. If there are, DELETE them. This area allows you to set IP Addresses of specific computers that connect to the share. If there are no IP address listed, then it will connect to anything that tries to authenticate, otherwise, it ONLY connects to the computers with that IP address on your network.

Once we deleted all IP addresses from this area (and make sure all volumes that you need to access have no specified IP addresses listed), then you can connect over SMB in the normal way, either through the Qfinder or through the Mac OS finder.

For some reason, there were some IP address specified that I did not add to the system. This may be some sort of bug.

Hope this helps!
rayden7
Starting out

Post by rayden7 »

Just chiming in to say that the solution paulgolden mentioned of deleting any IP addresses listed under the "Host/IP/Network" section of the "Microsoft Networking host access" worked for me to solve the exact same problem. I had lost access to the main "Public" shared folder from my Mac because I had added a specific device IP to that list, but once I removed it I was then able to access the Public folder again from my MBP. Thanks!
davidhildreth
New here

Post by davidhildreth »

I am having a similar problem. When I try to connect via SMB I get an error but AFP does function. I tried the fix that @paulgolden suggested but there were no IPs listed.
Any ideas?

QNAP 4.5.4, MacOS 12.2 (Although it wasn't working under 12.1 either).
davidhildreth
New here

Post by davidhildreth »

Replying to update that my issue was fixed my going to Control Panel > Network File Services > Win/Mac/NFS and turning on "Microsoft Networking". Which does make perfect sense... although I didn't have to turn on any other protocols so I hadn't expected to need to turn on SMB.

That being said, my speeds seem to be quite a bit lower than AFP. Any advice or ideas on how to fix that are welcome.
sinepgnol
New here

Post by sinepgnol »

Hello,

I am having the same problem. I can connect to a specific share only via AFP but not via SMB (I can connect to other shares via both protocols).
The solution suggested by paulgolden didn't work for me as I didn't have any IP address listed in that section.
Nor did davidhildreth's solution work for me as I already had Microsoft Networking enabled.
Any other suggestions anyone please?
odigiuseppe
New here

Post by odigiuseppe »

It seems to be a problem with the NAS firewall, probably a configuration error, it may happen that the NAS ethernet was configured instead of the virtual switch.
I fixed it by changing the firewall configuration.

Return to “Mac OS”