TVS-871T Mojave 10.14.6 Finder can't complete the operation... (error -36)

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
ManuelNAS
Starting out

TVS-871T Mojave 10.14.6 Finder can't complete the operation... (error -36)

Post by ManuelNAS »

I have a TVS-871T that I use with a 2015 macbook with TB2. Until today I was on High Sierra (10.13.06) and had no problem. Everything was working correctly.
But today I had to update the Macbook to Mojave, because in order to use an external reader I needed at least 10.14.4. I did the update using a file that I had downloaded from the Apple store, and everything went fine. I also did all the security updates.
But now I have the problem that when I try to copy large files to the NAS, the copying is interrupted with the following error message:
"Finder can't complete the operation because some data in the file cannot be read or written (error -36)".
If I copy files from the NAS to the Macbook everything is fine, but not from the Macbook to the NAS.
I'm on QTS 4.4.3, I don't know if I should upgrade or it's a macOS problem.
In a note from Qnap I found a possible solution, using "file_ids_off=yes" in the etc/nsmb.conf file, but that didn't work. In that file I already have the "signing_required=no" from when I had the slow file transfer problem in El Capitan.

Please, can someone help me? any solution for this problem?
ManuelNAS
Starting out

Re: TVS-871T Mojave 10.14.6 Finder can't complete the operation... (error -36)

Post by ManuelNAS »

Well, it seems I find a fix:
In the nsmb.conf file, I have remove the old line "signing_required=no" and let the line "file_ids_off=yes", and at the moment in all test I had the finder is OK copying files to the NAS.
ManuelNAS
Starting out

Post by ManuelNAS »

The solution I found worked fine, but every time I used Qfinder Pro to set the network drive, a window asked me for authorization to improve performance. As I didn't know how to remove the fu**ing window, I finally said yes, and it did something, because it asked me for the password.
Result, the problem came back. Suddenly.
Desperate, after hours of trying to see what was going on, I reopened the nsmb.conf file and saw that the line that produced the error (signing_required=no) was written again.
Arrrgh! Of course, it was Qfinder that rewrote it. What a joke.
Last edited by ManuelNAS on Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
ManuelNAS
Starting out

Post by ManuelNAS »

Solved!
A clean, fresh installation of macOS Catalina was the solution.
No nsmb.conf file is needed anymore, since Mojave 10.14.4 the "signing_required=no" command is no longer needed.

Regards

Return to “Mac OS”