Connecting to NAS by name in MacOs

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
Stone Free
Getting the hang of things

Connecting to NAS by name in MacOs

Post by Stone Free »

I find it really annoying that on my Macbook, I cannot seem to connect to the NAS by name.

Recently my QNAP 219P has been upgraded to 4.3.3.1624, and I noticed on windows that all my network drives failed to connect anymore. I then noticed that the name had changed from nasname to nasname.local

So I thought it might be a good time to ask for help with the MacOS issue, one time it happened that my NAS didn't boot up properly the 219P has some green drives in it and they don't always spin up in time for the boot process to be succesful.

I happened to be installing the latest OS on my Macbook, and when it finally rebooted it asked me if I wanted to initialse my NAS and mentioned it by name, of course I said no because I had looked at the NAS and noticed the power light flashing Red and the Squeezebox not being active so I new it wasn't booted up.

I really hate how I don't seem to be able to connect to my nas by name, also I just don't seem to be able to connect to it at all in the web browser. Finder seems to know the NAS is around, but whenever you try and connect to it, it just seems to time out.
torch1
Know my way around

Re: Connecting to NAS by name in MacOs

Post by torch1 »

If you set up a local domain name on your router (such as lan or home), then you should be able to reach your QNAP by nasname.lan or nasname.
If you enabled Control Panel > Service Discovery > Bonjour > Samba, then you should be able to reach your QNAP by nasname.local.
The difference is that to use nasname or nasname.lan, it is the router (or DHCP server) that resolves the name to its IP address; if you use nasname.local, it is the device (in this case the QNAP NAS) that resolves the name to its IP address. Two different protocols.

Return to “Mac OS”