Qnap TS-451+ Randomly Dropping Network Connection

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
WadingUpStream
Starting out

Qnap TS-451+ Randomly Dropping Network Connection

Post by WadingUpStream »

I'm using an iMac 2019 (19,1) Big Sur 11.3

Since updating to 4.5.3 I have to reset (using a paperclip in a small hole at the rear of the unit and holding for 3s until a beep) to get a connection.

Once, the system does what it does after holding the reset button down, Qfinder (7.4.2) finds the Qnap.

I can configure it (from within Qfinder): change the admin password, set up a static IP address, gateway, enter DNS addresses.

Using the latest version of Firefox (88.0), I can then load the Qnap page, enter my username and password, and everything runs perfectly, for a number of minutes, then out of nowhere I lose connection: "The connection has timed out. The server at xxx.xxx.x.xxx is taking too long to respond."

In order to regain connection I have to reset the unit and then the same thing occurs.

I have turned off AFP after reading on this forum there is some compatibility issue with that protocol and Big Sur, but this has made no difference.

The problem has definitely begun since updating to the new firmware, but I don't want to downgrade as QuFirewall was reporting that I was getting, on average, 2500 attempts a day to access my NAS. Therefore, I was eager for Qnap to supply a fix in the form of a new firmware update.

So in light of this Qlocker nastiness I would rather have the system down than open to being exploited, but I still need to use the system.

So as you can read I am a bit stuck.

Any ideas?

Kind regards
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Qnap TS-451+ Randomly Dropping Network Connection

Post by dolbyman »

uninstall the firewall

remove nanual port forwards on router and also disable upnp

test again and report
WadingUpStream
Starting out

Post by WadingUpStream »

Thanks for that, removing the firewall was the key.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

make sure the other to things are done as well....otherwise malware could strike
WadingUpStream
Starting out

Post by WadingUpStream »

All done, cheers!

Return to “Mac OS”