Qsync application failing/terminating

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
guy559
First post

Qsync application failing/terminating

Post by guy559 »

Qsync was successfully installed on two Macs with a TS-h886 running QuTS Hero for past couple months. No complaints.

Recently updated MacOS applications to latest 5.0.0.1916 version (one Mac is Intel, one is M1). Now Qsync application opens, the icon appears up top, and a sync begins. Within 2 seconds of loading, however, the program terminates without notice. The icon disappears and Activity Monitor shows Qsync client no longer running.

This is happening on both computers. I've tried reinstalling the Qsync clients, rebooting both computers, and disabling/re-enabling Qsync on QNAP. Also, rebooting QNAP.

After all this, Qsync client will open, grey icon turns blue with checkmark (connected), begins to spin to indicate syncing, then terminates.

Any thoughts/ideas? Odd that it just stopped working on both computers without warning.

Thanks all.
Cross
New here

Re: Qsync application failing/terminating

Post by Cross »

I had the same problem, and it's gotten worse. Mac Mojave, ancient QNAP TS-469-L with the latest kernel (4.3.4.1652). Qsync 3.6.0.1026 worked perfectly. Got tired of the daily nattering to update, so I downloaded and installed 5.0.0.1916, which failed at launch as you described. I remove it (simply deleted the client app), and then installed 3.6.0.1026. It complains that my user name or password is incorrect (red message, "Incorrect username or password").

I removed the app, dug around in the usual places to remove any files I could find related to Qsync, rebooted in safe mode (to clear caches), and then rebooted normally. Installed 3.6.0.1026, got the same result (incorrect username...). I tried a different user, same result. Created a new admin user, same result.

I suspect some remnant of the old install is still hanging around, but I've not been able to find and remove it.

Can't go forward, can't go back. I'm out of ideas....

--Jay
Last edited by Cross on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Choppit
Starting out

Post by Choppit »

I raised a support ticket for this issue yesterday, supplied logs etc. It's probably worth you doing the same just to raise the profile. I downgraded QSync client (TimeMachine restore) to enable debug logging, then re-upgraded to 5.x to get the logs. Also sent NAS logs from Helpdesk at their request. Waiting for their next response.
Cross
New here

Post by Cross »

Thanks, I'll do that. I think I've narrowed down part of my problem. I fired up an old Mac (El Cap) on which I've not used Qsync in over a year. Prior to that I used it daily, just as I do now on my current Mac. The old box has Qsync version 3.3.4.0916; it worked perfectly. When I launched it just now I got the "Incorrect username or password" message, but shouldn't have, as I've not changed my log-in credentials.

Yesterday I updated the NAS's kernel from 20210324-4.3.4.1632 to 20210413-4.3.4.1652. That update was uneventful and exhibited no issues during my daily routine, so I'd put it out of my mind. But coincides directly with the Qsync problem. Hmmmm....

I'll look into the possibility of downgrading to that older kernel. If that's doable (and successful) I'll retest.

--Jay
Cross
New here

Post by Cross »

I down/back graded the kernel to 20210324-4.3.4.1632, rolled back the Qsync client app on the Mac to the previous version, and continued to get the "incorrect username or password" message. I noticed an update to Qsync Central (on the NAS), to 3.3.3.02, was available. I installed that and my sync'ing issues went away. All is working properly now. When I have some time I will update the kernel to the latest version and test again. I will NOT update the Qsync client until (perhaps) the next release.

--Jay
tonkatruck
First post

Post by tonkatruck »

Just adding to this as I have the same issue - one Mac I've upgraded QSYNC to 5.0.0.1916 and it starts and immediately crashes, another I've not upgraded (3.6.0.1026) continues to work as normal. My Mac's and NAS are running with all updates in place so it does appear to be a bug with QSYNC client.
monte1920
First post

Post by monte1920 »

I am having the same problem with 1916 on an M1 Mac. There is a reddit post about a private test build of Qsync (v 5.0.1.1927) that seems to fix the nonstop crashing on macOS. Apparently they know about the trouble and are working on a solution. I have not found any notice of a 5.0.1 update anywhere.
ColHut
Know my way around

Post by ColHut »

I have the same issues on my FIL’s Win 10 machine. Completely lost as to why but the symptoms seem identical: grey icon in tray, goes blue and disappears. Needs to be manually restarted and around we go. Probably not helpful as its a PC but I feel for you.

Regards
Choppit
Starting out

Post by Choppit »

Looks like the crashing issue is resolved with version 5.0.1.0802 for Mac

Return to “Mac OS”