File transfer to Qnap TS-231 keeps failing over network - NAS beeps and disconnects??

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
peanutismint
Getting the hang of things

File transfer to Qnap TS-231 keeps failing over network - NAS beeps and disconnects??

Post by peanutismint »

Been trying to transfer a folder of videos from my Mac to my Qnap NAS, something I've done hundreds of times before without issue over my Gigabit wired network, but for some reason now a few gigabytes into the transfer the NAS beeps at me and transfer times out.

Only thing I can think of is that I installed a second 4TB HDD about 2 months ago, but disk health is good and I've been transferring files successfully since then.

Has anybody else had this happen to them and how did you fix it?
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Re: File transfer to Qnap TS-231 keeps failing over network - NAS beeps and disconnects??

Post by dolbyman »

"Beep" doesn't really narrow it down..does it reboot? anything in the logs?
peanutismint

Re: File transfer to Qnap TS-231 keeps failing over network - NAS beeps and disconnects??

Post by peanutismint »

It beeps, but all lights (network, HDDs etc) seem to stay on. No red error lights. I wouldn’t know where to find logs?
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

The logs would be in the Webgui.

At least events that cause a "beep" should be in there
peanutismint

Post by peanutismint »

Ok thanks I found some logs. It says “[Power] System started.” Every time the beep happened. So does that mean it’s rebooting for some reason? Why would a simple SMB file transfer be causing this??
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Good question...not sure

If it was a power issue..a starting HDD would draw more than a seeking/writing/reading one.. I think

What is the firmware installed?
peanutismint

Post by peanutismint »

It's on 4.3.6.1750 (2021/07/30). Wonder if there's a more recent one available; I don't tend to keep up with firmware updates becuase I know my model (the TS-231) is kind of old/outdated now.
Mac OS X 10.11 Beta
QNAP TS-231
WD Red 4TB
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

maybe see if there is an update ..but I can't remember seeing simmilar reports before on other/same models

Return to “Mac OS”