TS 453TB3 slow write after fw and new OSX install

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
nthake2
New here

TS 453TB3 slow write after fw and new OSX install

Post by nthake2 »

Hoping someone can help, I have a TS 453BT3 directly attached to a 2019 27imac (3.6Ghx- 8 core, 64gb ram) via a genuine apple tb3 cable. I have 4x ironwolf pro 10TB in Raid 2, and this is my main working drive.

Last week I updated the mac to Monterey 12.2 and decided the QNAP could go to 4.5.4.1892. Its kicked me in the arse as now the max write speed I can get from blackmagic starts at 400mb/s then after a few seconds drops down to 5mb/s. This rings true in real world trying to offload a 400gb wedding and it quoting 22 hours to transfer. I've tried changing the cable to another TB3 cable and using either port on the front and get the same thing.

I cant but help think I'm missing a setting or thunderbolt config that hasn't carried over when i performed the update on either the mac or qnap. Would love some help thanks guys!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sportivod
New here

Re: TS 453TB3 slow write after fw and new OSX install

Post by sportivod »

I have pretty much the exact same issue with my TVS627xt via TB3. I was very happy with 800mb/s ++ and no problem using Prores RAW, H.265, H.264 and everything else too. Since upgrade to Monterey (from Catalina, as Big Sur completely broke my TB) my speeds are down to 160 mb/s at best. There has been no change in my QNAP configuration and I am the only user of the device. I am running version 5.0.0.1853 in RAID6 with 6x 4GB Iron Wolf Pro and cacheing in 2 500GB RAID0, read-only fast SSDs. This setup has never changed, except for the incremental software and firmware updates fed through direct by QNAP.

My Mac is MBP 16", 2019, 2.3GHz 8 core i9, 64GB RAM running Monterey latest version.

Any ideas welcome!
sportivod
New here

Post by sportivod »

I've just posted about this again, with updated info and a slightly different scenario - QTS 5 kills Mac TB connectivity and I'm back on 4.5 now, but it seems that Monterey may be an issue too, as I can't get beyond 150/160 (it was down to 4MB/s with QTS5)! Do update if you have any more information!
sportivod
New here

Post by sportivod »

Further follow-up: I cleared a load of space and my system is now back to running at a decent speed. So, try that too! D
bertmwhite
First post

Post by bertmwhite »

Do either of you have any recent updates? I'm experiencing the same issues. Thanks
nthake2
New here

Post by nthake2 »

bertmwhite wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:42 am Do either of you have any recent updates? I'm experiencing the same issues. Thanks
So I went through troubleshooting with QNAP support, theyve been helpful looking into it but essentially the FW in the qnap needs to catch up to the OS on the macs. Theres an issue that their developers are working on so hoping that this sorts it out when it is released. Til then I've kept the unit on 4.5.4 and getting 100mbs write and 400mbs read. It still feels slow AF and I'm ready to change systems right now as I can't keep going like this (slowing my workflow big time)
VinceCheong
Starting out

Post by VinceCheong »

Only workaround for now is to get a 10Gbe card for your Mac, and just edit off your snap (assuming if it has 10gbe or 5gbe card). It's stated on QNAP's website that this is a known issue, hahaha I also went thru the hassle thinking "FARK I FRIED something" lol

But, if you want to transfer and back up your files, use the Filestation from the web UI, and you'll get 100% speed. it's just some issues using file transfers via Finder.
fvmoreno
First post

Post by fvmoreno »

Same problem on a 2018 iMac i7 16GB RAM using Monterey 12.4 with QNAP 453BT3. I noticed that I can nudge the file transfers along if I manually use Finder to select the folder I'm writing to/from. It seems that after starting a file transfer the iMac loses its place and has to be pushed along by simply clicking on the directory or just 1 file on the directory. I'm importing pictures into Lightroom and it seems my speeds come to a crawl every 2-3 minutes while transferring large qtys. If I open Finder and click on the mapped directory it seems to run smoothly for another 2-3 minutes - almost like there's some sort of buffer filling up. Hoping they (Apple/QNAP) can figure this out soon - definitely messing up the workflow.

Return to “Mac OS”