Help With Deleting A Time Machine Backup

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
richlewt
New here

Help With Deleting A Time Machine Backup

Post by richlewt »

Hi
New to this forum, so sorry if all this sounds a little basic.
I have a QNAP T453D and an iMac running Monterey 12.3.
I had to have a new mother board fitted to my iMac recently and used my Time Machine to restore it. I don't know what I did wrong but Time Machine does not show any previous dates of more than a week ago despite it being 2.6 TB in size. I had originally set up the Time Machine backup as a shared folder (iMacTMBackup) NOT the default TMBackup under services of HBS3.
I have decided now to set up a new Time Machine backup to the default service on HBS3 and use a quota against it to stop it getting too big.
My question to you is,
1) How do I safely delete the old Time Machine IMacTMBackup in the shared folder. Is it simply a case of deleting it from File Station?
2) Despite the fact that my iMac Time Machine backup is now backing up to the new one, will the old one still appear in the list of available drives? Is there something I also need to do on iMac to forget the old drive.
lousyfool
Getting the hang of things

Re: Help With Deleting A Time Machine Backup

Post by lousyfool »

If you want to make sure you get rid of your old TM backup and "disk", you may want to take step #2 here before step #1:
1) If you simply want to get rid of the old TM backup on the NAS (e.g. to free up the space): sure, delete it in File Station.
2) You can check on your Mac in "Time Machine Preferences" (find it under System Preferences, or when clicking the TM icon in the menu bar). There you'll see your TM destinations ("disks"), and if it's more than one, you'll also have the option to "Add or remove backup disk". Obviously, removing your old/unwanted destination here will stop further backups to it, no matter if you delete its previous backup files or not.
richlewt
New here

Re: Help With Deleting A Time Machine Backup

Post by richlewt »

lousyfool wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:29 am If you want to make sure you get rid of your old TM backup and "disk", you may want to take step #2 here before step #1:
1) If you simply want to get rid of the old TM backup on the NAS (e.g. to free up the space): sure, delete it in File Station.
2) You can check on your Mac in "Time Machine Preferences" (find it under System Preferences, or when clicking the TM icon in the menu bar). There you'll see your TM destinations ("disks"), and if it's more than one, you'll also have the option to "Add or remove backup disk". Obviously, removing your old/unwanted destination here will stop further backups to it, no matter if you delete its previous backup files or not.
Thanks for getting back to me on that. As soon as this current new back up is finished I will go ahead with your instructions :-)

Return to “Mac OS”