AFP Troubles!

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
OnEmAnArMy
Getting the hang of things

AFP Troubles!

Post by OnEmAnArMy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Hello
i've just bought a wonderful TS-210, which now hosts a 1tb hitachi compatible harddrive.

My network is mixed: 3 Linux Clients, 2 Mac and a 6 Windows stations, connected via 100Mbit switch.

My troble is that AFP protocol does not work: i used to use it for a while with no trouble, but all of a sudden afp browsing did not work anymore.. then i lurked the forum and i found that this was due to the infamous .AppleD* file. Then i SSHed to QNap and removed the file, then afp worked again.
I've done some tests (trasfer file and browsing) during which the connection dropped and the nas become really slow. then i connected to ssh and i saw that the afpd deamon and pdflush program took 100% CPU resources.
I was unable to power down the nas (nor halt command, web browser command and neither front button worked) proprerly, and i had to power off forcely (pressing the front button for several seconds).

I hope you can help me to fix this.

thanks in advice
Eugenio

MoxFulder

Re: AFP Troubles!

Post by MoxFulder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

I have a TS-210 and I have the same issue.

I'm using SMB as workaround with SMB, the NAS will not go in standby mode.

OnEmAnArMy

Post by OnEmAnArMy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 am

i'm forced to use SAMBA too.. but as i have PPC mac, i find SMB performance really ridicolous respect to AFP. (while instead are good with intel mac).

What kinda mac do u have mate ?

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:48 am

Dear all,

There are comparable easy ways to prohibit OS X creating these hidden resource files on network shares. This should bring a big relief for almost everybody. Please use search in the forum or on the net, do not have the how-to available here.

Next potential issue might be the usage of ext4 on v3.1.x firmware - you might experience "locking" while writing to the NAS. Consider updating to the latest v3.2.1 beta in case.

Finally yet importantly, it is OS X prohibiting the NAS serving SMB form sending the disks to standby mode - due to the ongoing service discovery. For some a good reason to avoid it where Windows File Sharing is not required.

-Kurt.

MoxFulder

Post by MoxFulder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 am

I have an Intel Macbook. Do you have the hard drives standby working with SMB enabled and your macbook started ?

MoxFulder

Post by MoxFulder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:56 am

schumaku wrote:Dear all,

There are comparable easy ways to prohibit OS X creating these hidden resource files on network shares. This should bring a big relief for almost everybody. Please use search in the forum or on the net, do not have the how-to available here.

Next potential issue might be the usage of ext4 on v3.1.x firmware - you might experience "locking" while writing to the NAS. Consider updating to the latest v3.2.1 beta in case.

Finally yet importantly, it is OS X prohibiting the NAS serving SMB form sending the disks to standby mode - due to the ongoing service discovery. For some a good reason to avoid it where Windows File Sharing is not required.

-Kurt.

Hi Kurt,
Thank you for your message.

I have an ext4 partition on 3.1.x firmwire. I'll try 3.2.x as soon as the stable release is available.
I have no windows computer and I don't *need* SMB. I wish I could avoid it, but, for now, AFP is just not possible.

Could you give more information about this mac hidden files ? Are they required by something ?

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:59 am

MoxFulder wrote:I have an ext4 partition on 3.1.x firmwire. I'll try 3.2.x as soon as the stable release is available.
Update if you have ext4 - there are no _new_ issues identified in the Beta.

MoxFulder

Post by MoxFulder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:00 am

schumaku wrote:
MoxFulder wrote:I have an ext4 partition on 3.1.x firmwire. I'll try 3.2.x as soon as the stable release is available.
Update if you have ext4 - there are no _new_ issues identified in the Beta.

OK, I'll do it asap and post here the conclusion about AFP after the upgrade.

OnEmAnArMy

Post by OnEmAnArMy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:47 am

omg i've got ext4 too...

ok..i'll wait for MoxFulder's response before upgrading :D

some questions about upgrading:

1) will i lose any data upgrading?
2) i've got a lot of scripts and ipkg-es installed and configured: will i lose something ?

thanks for your help dudes!

I dont mind about having the disk in sleepmode cuz mldonkeys is always on..so it needs to be up :)

regards

davenull

Post by davenull » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:56 am

Hi,

For my own, i only have Mac so i don't need SMB to share the NAS....

BUT, i have to activate SMB on the NAS for my macs see the USB printer plugged on the NAS... I don't understand why i cannot simply use a LPD connexion, BTW : my macs see the printer only via SMB :(
TS219 / v3.2.3 Build0212
MacBook Pro / Snow Leopard 10.6.2

OnEmAnArMy

Post by OnEmAnArMy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:32 pm

sure that you do not need SMB!
Via ipkg install cups, the configure cups to share the printer along the network.
Then configure macosx to get the cups-shared printer.

You just need cups :)

MoxFulder

Post by MoxFulder » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:55 am

I upgrade to 3.2.1, My macbook cannot access the AFP share for now. No time to investigate this issue, I'll try again later..

MoxFulder

Post by MoxFulder » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:36 am

Edit : Ok Guys, it seems ok.

I only test to upload a 700mb file and there is no lock (I have ext4 RAID1)
I recommend avoid osx write the .AppleD* and .DS_* on network share using this : "defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true" (remove double quotes then paste into a macosx terminal). (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2005070300463515)

What I did to get it works (no locks with ext4):
- Upgrade TS-210 to 3.2.1
- Suppress the .AppleD* files on the nas through ssh from the root shares
- Apply the DSDontWriteNetworkStores command on my macbook and restart the mac
- Access an afp share.

I try before to access an afp share with the old .AppleD* files but I got the "Connecting to server" popup never disappear. The cleanup appear to be the right way.
Last edited by MoxFulder on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

davenull

Post by davenull » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:21 am

OnEmAnArMy wrote:You just need cups :)

I know about Cups, but it bothers me to add yet another software layer on a Linux as Unix is perfectly able to use LPD without Cups...

Furthermore it's rather strange that a pure Mac network needs SMB to print on the USB printer : why my mac don't see the LPD printer in the first place, why SMB is able to share my printer and why AFP cannot ?
TS219 / v3.2.3 Build0212
MacBook Pro / Snow Leopard 10.6.2

OnEmAnArMy

Post by OnEmAnArMy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:49 am

MoxFulder i've removed the hidden files with old stable firmware some days ago and it worked for some hours.. but the problem happened again. (i've transfered lot of big files.. 40 gb..)

please, make more tries and give us feedbacks..thanks :)

did you lost something upgrading the firmware ?? some configuration lost ??

Return to “Mac OS”