Something wrong with the volume's DB

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
simoism
Starting out

Re: Something wrong with the volume's DB

Post by simoism » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:28 am

QNAPAlex wrote:We will have the update firmware version for TS-x09 NAS series, like 3.3.x. The schedule will be decided later.

Thanks QNAPAlex. Looking forward to an update to the firmware for my TS-409 Pro, so i can get rid of this "something wrong with the volume's db..." message!

convergent
Know my way around

Post by convergent » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:09 pm

When is this going to be available for other devices. I just updated the firmware on a TS659 and started getting the message. Its very annoying.

ahbrown41
Starting out

Post by ahbrown41 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:29 pm

QNAPAlex wrote:
ahbrown41 wrote:Glad to hear there is an update! Sadly it does not appear to be available for my TS-209PRo. Any word on when/if that will be available?

We will have the update firmware version for TS-x09 NAS series, like 3.3.x. The schedule will be decided later.

QNAPAlex, any updates by any chance. This message is fairly frustrating and my backups keep failing after too many of these.
QNAP 209-Pro

TanGU
Getting the hang of things

Post by TanGU » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:57 am

any of you guys upgraded to 3.3.7 and still having the issues?

SanderV
First post

Post by SanderV » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:21 am

Update my 409 to 3.3.0 and started using TimeMachine. Now I'm getting this message too, which results in TimeMachine stopping the backup and even telling me it has to start a new one. This way, I can only backup a few days before starting a new backup. Very annoying and no trusty backups doesn't feel very secure...

Any updates on fixing this on x09?

AlexKe
Experience counts

Post by AlexKe » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:05 am

@ SanderV

We are collecting bug issues for TS-x09 recently. We will have update firmware later.

simoism
Starting out

Post by simoism » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

QNAPAlex wrote:We are collecting bug issues for TS-x09 recently. We will have update firmware later.

@QNAPAlex

Do we have long to wait for the next firmware for TS-x09 devices please, Alex?

Thanks

roregan
New here

Post by roregan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 am

Yes, please fix. We've been bothered by this for a while. It's pretty alarming to those on the network who are just using the system, not administering it. Makes us look bad.

graceej
New here

Post by graceej » Sun May 01, 2011 6:53 am

QNAPAlex wrote:@ SanderV

We are collecting bug issues for TS-x09 recently. We will have update firmware later.

Dear Alex,

I have been monitoring this situation for some time having upgraded my 409 Pro to the 3.3.0 firmware. It appeared, from the online chatter, that the solution would be forthcoming reasonably soon -- hence my silence.

Apart from the AFP problem -- which is highly significant for me as I only use Macs I have found the 3.3.0 update a significant improvement. I am reluctant to downgrade to the previous firmware version as it seems that a permanent fix for the TM related AFP bug is just around the corner.

Do you have any update on this situation?

Regards,

-ed

bydandie
New here

Post by bydandie » Tue May 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Any news? I'm recommending QNAP to others because of their extended support, but if you can't provide an update for what is a pretty annoying bug then I'll have to reconsider my advise.

notsohandyrandy
Starting out

Post by notsohandyrandy » Wed May 04, 2011 12:51 am

This issue has been hitting the airwaves for about 9 months now???? And still no fix for us TS-x09 users??? I think it's becoming painfully obvious one isn't coming. Can anybody tell me if I can pull the drives out and put it into somebody elses box and keep the files in place? Thanks.

jcatchpoole
Starting out

Post by jcatchpoole » Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 pm

It is not a solution for most ppl, but for reference I found that all my afp mount-related problems went away when I stopped using Finder to access my shares. The "somethings wrong with volume DB" messages, my shares disappearing, randomly becoming read-only, not mounting at all, etc - all these just went away when I stopped using Finder to browse and move files around, and did it instead on the Terminal command line only. That was about 5-6mths ago now and even with continuous use I've never seen any of the issues I used to see every other day.

As I said obviously this is not a solution for most ppl, it is far less convenient, but maybe helpful to someone.

FWIW, I briefly experimented with some other file managers like muCommander (free) and Path Finder ($) and while I did not test long enough to be able to say it conclusively, I did not see this issue (nor the others I mentioned) with them either.

pp47
New here

Post by pp47 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:42 pm

I've tried to be silent as well, but this indeed borders on impertinence. From what I know x09 models have been their bestsellers for quite some time and yet bugs like this (we're not talking about a feature request here) are still not fixed after more than 9 months and after Alex said in December that the problem had been confirmed.

I really have been happy with QNAP until now and I still like my 409, but for obvious reasons a NAS is no good if it's not reliable. Really disappointing and annoying.

notsohandyrandy
Starting out

Post by notsohandyrandy » Sun May 15, 2011 7:26 pm

notsohandyrandy wrote: Can anybody tell me if I can pull the drives out and put it into somebody elses box and keep the files in place? Thanks.

Can anybody help me here? I need a reliable NAS so I have no choice but to go somewhere else. Can I pull the the drives and put them into someone elses box? Is it that simple? If not, what do I need to do to transfer everything? Thanks.

metro_monkey
First post

Post by metro_monkey » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:52 pm

I am also a 409 PRO user and started getting this error a week or so ago. I tried rebooting, check disks etc. and found this thread. It seems that the fix is not coming and thought that I will have to live it with. In my case, I am having problem with QMultimedia volume which iTune reads all my media. Then finally hit me to try the following and I no longer get this message.

It may or may not work on your NAS and DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISKS

- unmount the volume from all the machines
- ssh into QNAP and change to the root folder of the volume (in my case /share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia )
- delete the folders below

.@__thumb/
.AppleDB/
.AppleDesktop
.AppleDouble/
:2eDS_Store

- mount the volume again and in my case I no longer get this annoying message (those folders deleted will be recreated again)

Cheers,

Return to “Mac OS”