Printing from MACBOOK

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
yckelvin
New here

Re: Printing from MACBOOK

Post by yckelvin »

ash32 wrote:In case anyone needs to know, I've managed to sort this out.

First, on the TS-101 add a new user (user printer password printer). Give this user full access to the Qusb area.
Then open SAfari, enter localhost:631 into the address bar.

This will take you into the CUPS printer manager.

From here add a new printer.
From the first drop down, select Windows Via Samba. Enter the address below for the printer when prompted for it.
smb://user:password@server/sharename

Where user:password was my new "printer" user, server is my NAS IP address and sharename was the printers name.

Follow the next screens through to set up the printer. Thats it. Hopefully it helps someone
I tried to follow the instruction but only around 13% printing processed and then it paused. From the CUPS, I found the job reported ""Authentication required". I had no problem to the printer when my Mac OS X was Snow Leopard but now cannot print after upgrade to Lion.

Best regards,

Kelvin.
drbob49
New here

Post by drbob49 »

Managed to get it all working with Lion and CUPS 1.5 and a Canon i865. Previously, with a MacBook I followed ash32's instructions (almost) to the letter, only using different password for user Print as my QNAP TS110 is not happy with password = username. This worked well.

After upgrading to a MacBookPro with Lion it didn't work. There is not an option for Windows/Samba printing in Cups 1.5, as used by Lion, although it is possible to enter the smb://user:password@server/sharename via another menu option - although this produced an error - printer offline. Adding a printer using the discovered printer via Bonjour did not produce an error but left the test page job hanging. This was with printer drivers downloaded from Canon for the i865. Doing a search for Gutenprint drivers however and downloading the Gutenprint 7.5.2 image solved it and printing now works fine.
visahouse
New here

Post by visahouse »

Gutenprint 7.5.2 or Gutenprint 5.2.7?
I can't find Gutenprint 7.5.2 for HP LaserJet P1006
Padzster
Getting the hang of things

Post by Padzster »

drbob49 wrote:Managed to get it all working with Lion and CUPS 1.5 and a Canon i865. Previously, with a MacBook I followed ash32's instructions (almost) to the letter, only using different password for user Print as my QNAP TS110 is not happy with password = username. This worked well.

After upgrading to a MacBookPro with Lion it didn't work. There is not an option for Windows/Samba printing in Cups 1.5, as used by Lion, although it is possible to enter the smb://user:password@server/sharename via another menu option - although this produced an error - printer offline. Adding a printer using the discovered printer via Bonjour did not produce an error but left the test page job hanging. This was with printer drivers downloaded from Canon for the i865. Doing a search for Gutenprint drivers however and downloading the Gutenprint 7.5.2 image solved it and printing now works fine.
Hi
I'm trying to sort the same printing problem out. Could you go through this solution again step by step please, as I haven't been able to get it to work still.
Much appreciated!
TS-421, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 5, WD RED discs
TS-219, firmware 4.1.1, RAID 1, Seagate discs
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
36"28"36" :)
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

Ok, after more effort this is what I'm getting
(server name is blue and printer name is bluepr3 - despite specifying username printer and password printer it does not come up in the connection details)

Description: bluepr3
Driver: Epson Stylus SX415 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.8-pre1 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: smb://blue/bluepr3
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided
Jobs

Search in bluepr3:

Showing 1 of 1 active job.

▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
bluepr3-15 Unknown Withheld 1k 1 processing since
Tue Mar 20 12:51:47 2012
"Printing page 1, 17%"

then

▼ ID ▼ Name User Size Pages State Control
blueppr3-15 Unknown Withheld 1k 1 pending since
Tue Mar 20 12:51:47 2012
"Connection refused"

Any ideas?
Last edited by Padzster on Thu May 24, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
jabbba
Starting out

Post by jabbba »

Same issues here, the only way I could get some printed is if I was using a Printer found via Bonjour. That usually doesn't last long, seems like bonjour dies on QNAP after 5-10 minutes and need to SSH into the box and manually restart bonjour services if I want my Mac to see the printer and other shares via Bonjour. Did not have luck with direct SMB at all. Getting either the authentication or printer paused errors.
Padzster

Post by Padzster »

I've ditched the whole thing now and have connected my printer directly to the mac.
Not quite the setup I wanted but at least I can print!
Squeezebox Boom
Squeezebox Radio
Yuki.So
New here

Post by Yuki.So »

Thanks so much for the explanation! I have a Mac, but I never managed to figure out how to connect it to my printer. Such a hassle.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you had to post in here after 8 years ?

Return to “Mac OS”