TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
TimVD
First post

Re: TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Post by TimVD »

ghuber wrote:
Thanks for your reply! Do I understand you correctly that once authentication has been completed performance should be about the same as with previous firmware versions? And: will the move to 3.5 at least improve the authentication process a little? It is not that I can't live with the long authentication, but it really IS slow :-)

Is authentication required for every share window that I open (with CMD-Shift-K)?

Best regards,

Georg

I'm having the same problem: TimeMachine is very slow.
What is the solution?

When I backup my iMac from scratch, it wil take up to 8 days (and more) to finish the TimeMachine backup (192 Gb) using Max OS Lion.
I've installed the most recent firmware (v3.5.2 Build1126) ... no improvement ... TimeMachine is still very SLOW.

So I'm getting really frustrated :evil:
The upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion wasn't the success story I hoped considering the (known and solved) connection problems and TimeMachine.
On Snow Leopard everything worked fine ... now I'm using a external USB drive again :( instead of my awesome QNAP NAS.

Any hints, tricks, workarounds, ... are welcome to improve the speed.

By the way ... the speed problem has nothing to do with my wireless network.
I'v tried my current Cisco Linksys E2000 router, Airport Extreme and even fully wired network ... no difference there.

Tim.
sjlb197
New here

Post by sjlb197 »

I'm thinking of buying a 419P II, largely because my current ReadyNAS doesn't work well with OS X Lion. Reading of issues like this make me nervous though. Has your problem been resolved with 3.6 firmware?

Many thanks for any further info you can post.
sodium
Easy as a breeze

Post by sodium »

Yes the new (and improved method) is much simpler (yet missing a setup guide)
It works fine for me :)
I'll write something in the future...
Three things in life are certain: Death, taxes & lost data. Guess which has occurred.
sjlb197
New here

Post by sjlb197 »

OK excellent, thanks for the post!
desertgirl
First post

Post by desertgirl »

Is the Lion Timemachine backups fixed with the latest V3.6 firmware ?
Earlier post refers to a "simpler method" ...
Any gottchas I need to worry while i execute this firmware update ?
sodium
Easy as a breeze

Post by sodium »

timemachine (lion -- 10.7.1+) works fine with the latest version of the QNAP firmware 3.6.x (and above)

other questions and remarks are in you PM
Three things in life are certain: Death, taxes & lost data. Guess which has occurred.
AbdRahim
Starting out

Post by AbdRahim »

Can someone provide step by step instructions on how to backup a macbook to Qnap using Lio 10.7. Time machine does not see Qnap and Mac cannot connect to QNAP via afp.QNP 659 Pro.
AbdRahim
Starting out

SOLVED: TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Post by AbdRahim »

Backup MacBook to QNAP with Time Machine :D

1) Enable Apple Networking in QNAP under Network Services Check both boxes. Apply
2) Under Backup On QNAP, go t TimeMachine and enable. Enter a password. Hit Apply
3) On MacBook, Open Finder. On menubar Go to Go and Connect to Server. Enter aft://QNAP ip address/TMBackup. Hit Connect.
4) On Mac go to System Services → Utilities-> Time Machine. Unlock and Go to select Disk on the right. If you see TMBackup, select it. If it takes you are in.
5) If it cannot connect toTMBackup, try shutting down Mac and Shutting down and restarting QNAP.
6) Once QNAP is up Restart Mac and return to step 3. This is what worked for me.
WARNING: If you have two ethernet cables connected to the QNAP disconnect one before restarting, otherwise it may hang on Starting Service for over ½ hour.

AbdRahim :D :D
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Good list, thank you. Is the setp #3 required? AFAIK the NAS does announce the avialbility of the (TM) disk service by bonjour, and TM should be bale to find it, challenging the user for the password.

Compare to QNAP Turbo NAS User Manual - Backup - Time Machine
AbdRahim wrote:If you have two ethernet cables connected to the QNAP disconnect one before restarting, otherwise it may hang on Starting Service for over ½ hour.
What exact configuration of the network interfaces pleae. Individual interfaces holding dedicated IP addresses and connected to the same LAN or VLAN? Port trunking configured - what mode? What Ethernet switch make and model, what port configuration?

Return to “Mac OS”