TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
notshy
Starting out

TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Post by notshy »

Hi guys,

I just read about this and wasn't sure if it will effect my with my 419P. Can this be considered for future firmware updates?

http://trick77.com/2011/02/25/afp-broke ... lion-10-7/

Lion is being released v v soon and I'd hate to lose TimeMachine !
Custom built Mac Pro - i7 930 OC to 3.8 Ghz / 6GB Ram / X58A-UD3R (v2-FF) / OSX 10.9.3 / Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
QNAP TS-419P (4.1.3 build 0217) w 4 x 1TB in Raid 5
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: TimeMachine and Mac OS Lion

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi notshy,
We'll make sure that Time Machine on QNAP NAS can be supported with Mac OSX Lion via future firmware update.
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

Thanks for the swift reply. Would you be able to make a preemptive update to fix it earlier ? One of my colleagues has a developer account and I could help test if needed on the current developer preview.

Cheers
Custom built Mac Pro - i7 930 OC to 3.8 Ghz / 6GB Ram / X58A-UD3R (v2-FF) / OSX 10.9.3 / Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate
hblaschka
First post

Post by hblaschka »

I got Lion DP4 and have exactly this problem and do not feel very comfortable doing so ;-)

How long will it take until this is fixed? I assume Apple will release Lion in the first or second week of July, and you guys will be flooded with complaints then.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

hblaschka wrote:How long will it take until this is fixed?
Hard to say - as you see http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/ - as of writing netatalk v2.2 mandatory for the support of the Lion TM required functions is still in beta.
hblaschka wrote: I assume Apple will release Lion in the first or second week of July, and you guys will be flooded with complaints then.
Well, there will be certainly enough reailty-blind users updating first - and ask questions later nicely spoken. All the others should be warned after reading the forum...
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

notshy wrote:Lion is being released v v soon and I'd hate to lose TimeMachine !
You don't have to update on day one before you know the NAS is supporting TM again, do you? Do you buy every new Mac once available in the Apple shop? For the moment, I think this is the biggest problem - new machines delivered with OS X Lion! All the others can certainly wait some weeks with the update - as it's not security mandatory.
sodium
Easy as a breeze

Post by sodium »

IMHO Qnap should release it now or at least really soon (before the launch day of Lion) it isn't rocket science...

The day that Lion comes available I'll switch if QNAP is not ready at that time that would be a big problem for me :shock: as other people will switch also and I have to support that...
Three things in life are certain: Death, taxes & lost data. Guess which has occurred.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sodium wrote:IMHO Qnap should release it now or at least really soon (before the launch day of Lion) it isn't rocket science...
Personally I would opt for going to the Netatalk 2.2 Beta 4 ...
sodium wrote:The day that Lion comes available I'll switch if QNAP is not ready at that time that would be a big problem for me :shock: as other people will switch also and I have to support that...
If you expect immediate compatibility you need to buy an Apple storage appliance. System integratin does not always allow using the latest and greatest when it hits the market. Or have you shutdown yor Internet router because it does not support IPv6 yet?
sodium
Easy as a breeze

Post by sodium »

schumaku wrote:
sodium wrote:IMHO Qnap should release it now or at least really soon (before the launch day of Lion) it isn't rocket science...
I second this :-)
schumaku wrote:
sodium wrote:The day that Lion comes available I'll switch if QNAP is not ready at that time that would be a big problem for me :shock: as other people will switch also and I have to support that...
If you expect immediate compatibility you need to buy an Apple storage appliance. System integratin does not always allow using the latest and greatest when it hits the market. Or have you shutdown yor Internet router because it does not support IPv6 yet?
Please do not take this so personal, it is not an attack at you, your opinion or even Qnap... I simply say that I do no have a choice people upgrade there laptops and workstations and when this breaks TimeMachine they will contact me for support... Then I do not have an option anymore to rollback to 10.6.8 and have to go forward...

P.S. I implemented IPv6 in 2003 :-)
Three things in life are certain: Death, taxes & lost data. Guess which has occurred.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

@sodium: As I said...
schumaku wrote:For the moment, I think this is the biggest problem - new machines delivered with OS X Lion! All the others can certainly wait some weeks with the update - as it's not security mandatory.
Lucky if your ISP offers IPv6 since 2003 ... aside of some niche providers no sign of native IPv6 on consumer/SOHO/SMB Internet connections here in Switzerland.
sodium
Easy as a breeze

Post by sodium »

now gong totally off topic :-|

do it dual stack : https://www.sixxs.net/pops/ and implement a tunnel (3 pops available in Switzerland) or othe tunnelbroker

have phun
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only user here concerned about the update.

Yes I know that you don't have to upgrade as soon as Lion is released but I bet there will be a lot of users that don't know of the above issue and there will be a flood of posts here with people wanting to know why it doesn't work. Plus I wasn't sure if all the current promotional material would have to have some side note put on to say that QNAP only supports up to Snow Leopard when Lion is released.

Given that some of the developer testers for OSX have spotted this issue I thought that I should flag it here in case it wasn't already known in QNAP HQ. I have no networking history so I have no clue behind the reason behind the issue other than what I've read. And hence I don't know how big a task it would be to upgrade the right bit of the firmware.

Would it be possible to get an idea of when this update could take place ? It might not be a bad thing to be one of the first Nas players in the market to offer Lion support.
notshy
Starting out

Post by notshy »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only user here concerned about the update.

Yes I know that you don't have to upgrade as soon as Lion is released but I bet there will be a lot of users that don't know of the above issue and there will be a flood of posts here with people wanting to know why it doesn't work. Plus I wasn't sure if all the current promotional material would have to have some side note put on to say that QNAP only supports up to Snow Leopard when Lion is released.

Given that some of the developer testers for OSX have spotted this issue I thought that I should flag it here in case it wasn't already known in QNAP HQ. I have no networking history so I have no clue behind the reason behind the issue other than what I've read. And hence I don't know how big a task it would be to upgrade the right bit of the firmware.

Would it be possible to get an idea of when this update could take place ? It might not be a bad thing to be one of the first Nas players in the market to offer Lion support.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sodium wrote:now gong totally off topic :-|
Appreciate...
sodium wrote:do it dual stack : https://www.sixxs.net/pops/ and implement a tunnel (3 pops available in Switzerland) or othe tunnelbroker
Playing with these since thier existance - uselesss for professional operations - we need native IPv6. Off-topic closed :|
Riebesehl
New here

Post by Riebesehl »

schumaku wrote:
2.2-beta4 is said to be badly broken. Also, there is this: Open letter from the Netatalk developers.

Return to “Mac OS”