AFP does not show all directories of share, SMB does

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
mucstore
Starting out

AFP does not show all directories of share, SMB does

Post by mucstore »

Hi there,

since updating my TS-110 firmware to 3.6.1 I have encountered a number of problems with AFP (using Mac OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard).

1. Most importantly, the not all files/directories seem to show using AFP to access network shares. For example, I have a share containing scanned PDF documents organized by year/date, e.g. /docs/inbox/2009/2009-12-01/somefile.pdf. While most files/directories show up correctly in the finder, some directories don't. It appears to be consistent, e.g. it's always directories 2008 and 2011 not showing. The same share and all its folders/files is displayed correctly using SMB on the same computer.

2. Less consistently, I also seem to loose connections with AFP resources in general. This seems to be sporadic (though quite common - say every 10 accesses). The connection reappear after a while, irrespective of a reboot of the NAS or computer. It appears that they appear when a TimeMachine backup is running successfully, though the backup itself fails occasionally, too (see 3. below). Again, the same share usually remain accessible via SMB.

3. Most annoyingly, TimeMachine backups to the NAS also seem to suffer from the connection losses. Within the last month, TimeMachine told me twice that for some reasons it had to start a new backup set. Given the incremental structure of the TimeMachine backup that means a) your computer is busy for many hours and b) you cannot access any data from the previous backup sets (which kind of destroys the purpose of a backup).

I browsed through the forum, but did no see any similar problems (in particular with respect to the recent firmware and/or Snow Leopard). Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
Benathome
New here

Re: AFP does not show all directories of share, SMB does

Post by Benathome »

Hi,

QNAP TS-219, firmware v3.6.1 build 0302T
Mac Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and, Mac Lion 10.7.3.

Unfortunately, my experience is the same. I cannot offer any solution other than add my name to call for QNAP to fix up AFP shares - or release a statement as to why Apple are at fault.

Within a mounted drive, afp share, a directory is just not visible. Yet with a smb share it is.
and
afp takes forever to mount. FOREVER. Yet, smb mounts in a few seconds.
I try to empty the network trash but it won't. There is still 170Gb in there according to the resource monitor.

Three years ago when the unit was new, afp was fast against Tiger and Leopard.

I notice that there are a few other forum posts about slow mounting of afp shares.

I upgraded to QNAP firmware 3.6.1 2 weeks ago in the hope of fixing the problem, but alas, this has not been the case.
chrisskaug
Starting out

Post by chrisskaug »

QNAP TS-219P, firmware v3.6.1 build 0302T
AppleTV with aTV Flash

I'm experiencing the same problems as you guys are when it comes to shares not showing with AFP. It seems that only the default shares show, while user created shares are gone. SMB share works as normal and all shares are showing there.

I just changed HDDs, and used the most recent firmware from qnap.com, so I don't think this issue has anything to do with upgrading or any old settings lying around.

I'm going to submit a support ticket and refer to this thread.
Update: Ticket submitted.
Update2: Support asked me to check that there was nothing wrong with the filesystem or disks. I ran all the tests, but it doesn't seem to be any problems with the disks of fs in my case at least.
1. [Web admin] > [Volume Management] > Logical Volumes> Check Now
2. [Web admin] > [Volume Management] > Physical Disks > Bad Blocks Scan Now
MrQuake
Getting the hang of things

Post by MrQuake »

Hi Qnap Users,

I have the same issue, I raised it as well a long time ago, for missing file in the finder using afp, but appears using smb
Problem is, does smb hides some file as well afp does??

The shares are not displayed in AFP, but are well displayed in SMB (Qmultimedia, QDownload , Piblic and so one

For me it is a QNAP bug because we have the same issue.

iMac 27" Mac OS X 10.7.4
Qnap TS-410 Firmware: 3.6.1, but same issues on previous releaseS

QNAP?? any idea??
MrQuake

Post by MrQuake »

weel, I have been able to mount the Q... shared, in the finder, when selecting connect to as, enter the admin QNAP user and password, and then they appears.

But I use a UserName on the Mac identical to the user UserName on the QNap, and it is always connected with Guess account by default

Is they a way to specify to Mac or QNap, use the same User/paswwaord sane the Mac Os open Session ?
carny
New here

Post by carny »

I have the same problem.
Why on earth don't they fix the issue. It is an at least 2 year old bug.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Appears there are two different issues posted here recently:

1. The visibility of shared folders to AFP clients in Finder.
2. The visibility of files and folder in shares SAMBA ok. vs. AFP invisible.

In asbsence of a crystal ball, the community needs mor information:

- NAS moel, Firmware version
- How are the "invisible" files copied to the NAS?
- Advanced Folder Permissions (ACL support) active on the NAS?
- A listing of the folders and files from th NAS Linux shell

Login on the NAS by SSH from your computer (Windows: puTTY, OS X Terminal app: ä ssh admin@[NAS-IP-address]) using the admin credentials. Then you can enter the commands (the [~] shows just the currecnt directory, the # is the prompt:

ie. to type the file (for copy-paste) - use the SPACE bar to cocntinue:

[~] # more /etc/config/uLinux.conf
mucstore
Starting out

Post by mucstore »

Sorry for the long delay and thanks to schumaku for pointing out the different issues in this thread.

Just to round up, issue 2. The visibility of files and folder in shares SAMBA ok. vs. AFP invisible. appears to be resolved in firmware version 3.8.3 for my QNAP TS-110 with Mac OS X 10.8.3. Inadvertently hidden files seemed to have been a major issue in the 3.8.2 firmware release, which seems to be fixed now (hopefully for good). Also, the performance of the AFP implementation seems to have improved overall (can't say since when exactly, as I had it deactivated for some time out of frustration!)

Just out of curiosity: Has the other issue (1. Visibility of shared folders) also been resolved? I never encountered that issue personally!

And one more question: Given that the AFP implementation has at least somewhat improved, will the TimeMachine now work reliable? I also deactivated that service, after several failed backups, and am a bit hesitant to start a full backup of my machine as it takes several days!
MrQuake

Post by MrQuake »

well I found a kind of "workarround" to make those folder displayed back:
I launched a terminal connexion to the NAS
I used chmod to re-assign all rights to the targeted declared user
I usded ch... (don't remember :()for the group to reassign to correcte group(s)
I don't know why, but some file owner has been chnaged from my normal user to admin or guess some time, so when logged as standard user, file switched to admin or guess are not displayed

Hope it helps
steview
Starting out

Post by steview »

Incidentally, to make invisible files show up in the Mac Finder, change its settings with this Terminal command:

Code: Select all

defaults write com.Apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
The change takes effect when the Finder is restarted (at least on older MacOS X versions). Either log out and in again, restart, or just force the Finder to quit so it reloads.

To change the setting back, just repeat the command with NO instead of YES.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

This should not be required when operating with recent firmware at all. There was an issue (well, over the years there were two) with some early 3.8.x firmware that some files appeared to be hidden.
sloporc
Know my way around

Post by sloporc »

This issue is is happening with me right now.

AFP on the left. SMB on the Right.

Confirmed on several macs running on Yosemite and the latest Sierra.
Model: TVS-463
Firmware: QTS 4.3.3.0154
Storage: RAID 5, 4 x4TB HGST Deskstar HG0S03664
RAM: Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3-1600 MT/s (PC3-12800)
Networking: Port trunking balance-tlb
pipplo
New here

Post by pipplo »

Adding my voice to the list of people seeing this, except SMB will show the same behavior eventually. I had put more details in the following page:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=128800
TheWalkingDeaf
New here

Post by TheWalkingDeaf »

I had a client open a ticket about this exact problem with Macs and their QNAP. The long and short of it is, the affected files and directories have OSX's Extended Permissions set, which confuses Finder! I found that out by opening up Terminal, navigating to the mounted SMB share and doing ls -lah.

Affected files/folders will have a @ in addition to their permissions. i.e.:

drwx------@

I then did:

xattr -c -r *
This essentially iterates through each of the directories, removing all extended attributes within that particular directory. One by one, the missing files started showing up in Finder. I hope this helps all of you. :)
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

TheWalkingDeaf wrote:I had a client open a ticket about this exact problem with Macs and their QNAP. The long and short of it is, the affected files and directories have OSX's Extended Permissions set, which confuses Finder!
Interesting insight, thank you. For curiosity, does this NAS run on plain shared folder permissions, or is the Advanced Folder Permission enabled?

Return to “Mac OS”