AFP - Connection Failed

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
toxyne
New here

Re: AFP - Connection Failed

Post by toxyne »

I have a same problem on TS-1279U-RP. Updating to 4.1.2 ... didn't help.
I can't find any .AppleDB folders. All files visible...but no .AppleDB
dsmithdewarcom
Easy as a breeze

Post by dsmithdewarcom »

The folders (and any files/folders with names that begin with a ".") are invisible in the Finder.
toxyne
New here

Post by toxyne »

I understand it... making visible in Forklift...no .AppleDB. Remove it using ssh connecting and by rm command. Thanks
amsterd@mned
Starting out

Post by amsterd@mned »

We've had this problem with different NAS servers and our macs at work, we have a high-end Blu Arc/Hitachi system and I have the exact same problem with my TAS-268 at home. Strangely, never have this problem with any of the Synologies.

If you can connect with SMB and AFP using the IP address try the following. Try turning of the QNAP's AFP service and the Bonjour service under Discovery Services first then re-enabling. You will have to disable the Timemachine backups in order to do this if you have it enabled. Then turn them all back on again.

This didn't fix it for me so I tried what we do at work with our Hitachi system. Make sure you are disconnected from the NAS on both AFP and SMB.

Next, on the mac go to the /volumes folder (Finder menu bar at the top 'Go' then select 'Go to Folder 'and type /volumes). In here you may find several items. One may be the DB folder for Timemachine (can't remember specifically what its called), EJECT THIS. Any others will likely be an alias (possibly for the name of the shared folder on the QNAP) but in my case it was just a Macintosh HD alias. Delete all these aliases.

Try again and it should work, at least it usually fixes it for many of our NAS systems.
Jim DeLaHunt
Starting out

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

Jim DeLaHunt wrote: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:10 pm It seems that the fix of deleting .AppleDB directories is effective. I have not had this problem again, and I have been able to connect, disconnect, and start the client computer several times.
Here I am, back again after 4+ years, encountering the same symptoms.

This time I am running firmware version 4.3.3.0789, dated 2019-01-02, which appears to be current. I no longer see "/share/*/.AppleDB" files. (Note that one has to check when logged in to the server's shell as admin; you don't see this via the Finder from your client Mac.)

Stopping and restarting Time Machine clients, then Bonjour, then Time Machine service, then AFP service, was not effective for me.

I can connect via the smb: service instead of the afp: service, but I have a feeling that won't give me the same Mac experience. I worry that extended attributes, or previous of photos, won't be preserved.

I will open a QNAP support case about this. I would love to have a solution that works again.
Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada. User Jim_DeLaHunt on wiki.qnap.com.
My QNAP device: TS-219P, firmware 4.3.3.2420 Build 20230621, 3TB + 1TB Western Digital disks as a backup container.
Also: a FreeNAS Mini E with 4 x 6TB Western Digital Red disks and a ZFS filesystem.
Jim DeLaHunt
Starting out

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

I have begun having the problem of failed connections from Mac OS Finder to a QNAP device, accompanied by the error message, "Connection Failed" in the Finder window. One workaround that sometimes works for me is to relaunch the Finder, using the Apple Menu… Force Quit… dialogue.
Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada. User Jim_DeLaHunt on wiki.qnap.com.
My QNAP device: TS-219P, firmware 4.3.3.2420 Build 20230621, 3TB + 1TB Western Digital disks as a backup container.
Also: a FreeNAS Mini E with 4 x 6TB Western Digital Red disks and a ZFS filesystem.
FabrizioA
Starting out

Post by FabrizioA »

I've the same problem on my QNAP TS253A with 4.4.1 and macOS Catalina!
If I use "Connect to the server" MacOS menù (with afp://nasip/) Finder show me all shares and the I can use my selected share correctly... but, If I click on discovered NAS (AFP) from the left sidebar, I get a connection error :(
Any advice??
Jred55
Starting out

Post by Jred55 »

Same problems here with two QNAP NAS's running 4.3.4 & 4.3.3. Been going around in circles trying everything everyone has suggested here but with no success. I have an iMac running High Sierra and LAN connected which works fine so wondering if it's a QNAP, Catalina, wireless, Macbook (or combination thereof) issue?
sromley
New here

Post by sromley »

I have similar problems, although I can connect via SMB. I get "This version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported." I am running Catalina. I've been have problems on and off for the last 6 months. Running 4.4.1
Fromanjensen
First post

Post by Fromanjensen »

Jim DeLaHunt wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 pm I have begun having the problem of failed connections from Mac OS Finder to a QNAP device, accompanied by the error message, "Connection Failed" in the Finder window. One workaround that sometimes works for me is to relaunch the Finder, using the Apple Menu… Force Quit… dialogue.

This worked for me (THANKS!), and if it keeps me from rebooting my Mac a few times I'll do it, but I'd prefer a more permanent fix.
grayhicks
New here

Post by grayhicks »

This problem started for me just a couple of months ago on my MacBook Pro soon after I upgraded to Catalina. It wasn't frequent at first, but has become a daily issue now. I have 3 QNAP NAS's of various vintage and all are affected similarly. However, I also have 5 Macs in my house and each runs a different version of Mac OS. The Macs running El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave have no problem accessing the NAS's, it only the Mac running Catalina that has this problem and only in Finder.

I have now copied my desktop icons for the shared folders for each of the NAS's to the 'Favorites' section of Finder's left pane and these seem to work all the time in Catalina. It's only under the 'Locations' section of Finder's left pane where the device shows up that I get the 'Connection failed' message when I try to access the device (NAS) - again only with Catalina.
speedluvver
First post

Post by speedluvver »

I use smb only now, and an app called auto-mounter - it mounts the shares on startup and keeps them mounted
Cobalt
Starting out

Post by Cobalt »

I had the same issue where one shared folder was not connecting any longer. The other 12 connected instantly. Glad I found this old post! The solution works, removed the AppleDB/ from the share through SSH. And now it connects perfectly again.

Thx!

Return to “Mac OS”