AFP - Connection Failed

Questions about using NAS on Mac OS.
colinm9
New here

AFP - Connection Failed

Post by colinm9 »

TS-269 Pro OSX 10.9.3
Just migrated disks from 212 to 269. My final task is to get AFP working so that I can get TimeMachine working again. I see the AFP share in finder but when I click on it it seems to try to connect for a few minutes and then announces - Connection Failed. The SMB share connects after a few seconds.
I've no idea what's going on here. A couple of console log entries may offer clues to someone with quite a bit more knowledge than me -
AFP error -5014 mapped to EIO
and
afp_sendmsg: sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 32
Any help greatly appreciated!
Regards
Colin
nuytsr
First post

Re: AFP - Connection Failed

Post by nuytsr »

Just upgrade my TS459 with new disks via expand raid
I have a similar problem with OSX 10.9.3 and my mac
After Raid expand, i can not login via AFP, SMB works fine, but is slower then before.
System connection log shows (on qnap) : login ok, but MAC will continue until after a few minutes : Connection failed

24/08/14 09:25:39,251 NetAuthSysAgent[696]: afp_sendmsg: sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 89
24/08/14 09:25:39,251 NetAuthSysAgent[696]: AFP error -5014 mapped to EIO
24/08/14 09:25:39,252 NetAuthSysAgent[696]: afp_sendmsg: sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 32

it worked great before,i did not install any osx upgrade
Tips are greatly appreciated
Rutger
bendsch
Know my way around

Post by bendsch »

same thing here on my ts-459 pro + after installing FW 4.1.1 (no disk migration involved).

the connection fails only if i click the afp-share (bonjour) in the finder. if i do "connect to server" afp://ipadress/share it works.
NASmodesl: TS-459 Pro+ , TS-251
jwkip
First post

Post by jwkip »

Same problem here :-(
Since upgrade my TS-670-pro to FW 4.1.1 no connection trough AFP possible anymore!
Also SMB works normal.
Strange thing is that I still can access my "Multimedia" folder trough AFP but not my "Download" folder
Any solutions yet!?
jaa
Starting out

Post by jaa »

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

This is highly annoying and frankly unacceptable. Never have I had such a catastrophic failure for something so simple as connecting to my NAS.

The latest update 4.1.1 has added an ever newer problem to the already annoying "connection failed" message. Now when it locates the NAS, it likes to randomly tell me that my user name or password is incorrect despite the fact that my username/password is saved in my keychain and has always worked and will work again in about 2 minutes.
doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor »

Go bug QNAP. :arrow: http://helpdesk.qnap.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Noone will fix anything here; netatalk has been outdated for quite a while, with known bugs long fixed upstream, plus well known stupid decisions regarding the backend because QNAP knows better than upstream on what should they use - cf. http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=97572 e.g.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!
Acidham
New here

Post by Acidham »

Same here after upgrading my P219P+ to 4.1.1 I cannot connect via AFP. Only guest login to PUBLIC works. Anyone out here on how to fix that? My NAS is now unusable :?
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

Acidham wrote:Same here after upgrading my P219P+ to 4.1.1 I cannot connect via AFP. Only guest login to PUBLIC works. Anyone out here on how to fix that? My NAS is now unusable :?
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 05#p439089

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Acidham
New here

Post by Acidham »

I filed a support case....but I am not confident to get a solution
Acidham
New here

Post by Acidham »

In the meantime QNAP support recommended to delete .AppleDB on each Share. After I did that I was able to re-connect to the NAS but after a while .AppleDB was created again and I was again not able to connect to QNAP NAS. There is no way to prevent Mac OS X to write .AppleDB. I think this proves that it is a bug in QNAP latest FW.
Hopefully they fix it otherwise I need to switch to another solution because deleting .AppleDB via Terminal and restarting my Macs is not very handy.
sirdavy
Getting the hang of things

Post by sirdavy »

I can't access the folders on my NAS from the aliases I created on my desktop. I can't connect to server through finder. I don't think I've been able to connect for 14 days. Has this thing been fixed yet?
Jim DeLaHunt
Starting out

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

I am seeing a similar problem, connecting to a TS-219P recently upgraded to firmware 4.1.1 build 20141101, from Mac OS X 10.10.1.

The repeatable set of messages on the Mac OS Console are:

Code: Select all

2014-12-22 10:35:29.626 PM NetAuthSysAgent[6167]: afp_sendmsg:  sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 89 
2014-12-22 10:35:29.627 PM NetAuthSysAgent[6167]: afp_sendmsg:  sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 32 
2014-12-22 10:35:29.627 PM NetAuthSysAgent[6167]: AFP error -5014 mapped to EIO
2014-12-22 10:35:29.627 PM NetAuthSysAgent[6167]: afp_sendmsg:  sendmsg failed 0xffffffff errno = 32 
I have also filed a support case, BNF-586-10641, just now. I'll post a reply if I get a solution.
Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada. User Jim_DeLaHunt on wiki.qnap.com.
My QNAP device: TS-219P, firmware 4.3.3.2420 Build 20230621, 3TB + 1TB Western Digital disks as a backup container.
Also: a FreeNAS Mini E with 4 x 6TB Western Digital Red disks and a ZFS filesystem.
Jim DeLaHunt
Starting out

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

QNAP Support's remedy was to delete, via rm -r command from the shell while logged in to the QNAP as admin, any .AppleDB/ directory at the root of a shared folder, e.g. rm -r /share/Qmultimedia/.AppleDB/.

This was effective, in that I'm now able to connect via AFP, once, to the shared folders in question. We'll see if this fix lasts. I've got to imagine that the cause of the problem is that an older version of the firmware put something into the .AppleDB/ directory which is now unsuitable, but that the new version of the firmware only leaves suitable things in there.
Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada. User Jim_DeLaHunt on wiki.qnap.com.
My QNAP device: TS-219P, firmware 4.3.3.2420 Build 20230621, 3TB + 1TB Western Digital disks as a backup container.
Also: a FreeNAS Mini E with 4 x 6TB Western Digital Red disks and a ZFS filesystem.
Jim DeLaHunt
Starting out

Post by Jim DeLaHunt »

It seems that the fix of deleting .AppleDB directories is effective. I have not had this problem again, and I have been able to connect, disconnect, and start the client computer several times.
stealthmusic
New here

Post by stealthmusic »

Hi,

same issue here. TS-210, after update to 4.1.1, AFP stopped working.

I deleted all .AppleDB directories found by find /share -name .AppleDB

But I wasn't able to connect again after that. I tried to restart my MacBook but it didn't help either.

Any suggestions on what to do? How did actually solve this? Anything else you did after deleting the directories?

Thanks!

Return to “Mac OS”