Resilio Sync keeps crashing lately - anyone else having this trouble?

The 3rd party BitTorrent Sync app uses the P2P (peer-to-peer) protocol to synchronize an unlimited number of files (stored on the NAS) between your devices. Your data is not stored on a server in the cloud but is protected using private keys during file transmission.
soundacct
First post

Resilio Sync keeps crashing lately - anyone else having this trouble?

Post by soundacct »

for me, this started with Resilio Sync version 2.6.0. I am currently using version 2.6.3 - same issue. When I start Resilio Sync on my Qnap, remote clients start syncing as expected, but then it crashes (on the Qnap) anywhere from a couple minutes to maybe a half hour or so later.

I have a Qnap TS-431P

Version 4.3.6.0895 (2019/03/28)

Can anyone help? I have been using Resilio Sync for quite a while and it was working perfectly until I updated to 2.6.0.

Thanks in advance
ajugland
First post

Re: Resilio Sync keeps crashing lately - anyone else having this trouble?

Post by ajugland »

I got same issue with same QNAP. Is it too little memory? Its seen then wanishes, and just continue like this. Disks are working and spinning. Its just too slow to operate even though the CPU is hardly working at all.
alexbartok
New here

Post by alexbartok »

I realize this is an ancient thread, but it comes up in Google results and I solved this problem for my two affected systems by disabling asynchronous IO.

On your qnap, edit the following file (XXX_DATA depends on your RAID configuration, most likely it is CACHEDEV1_DATA):

/share/XXX_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync/resilio-sync.conf

In particular you'll need to add a parameter async_io and set its value to false. Once done, restart Sync. Please note that the file has JSON syntax so please ensure you are following it (in terms of commas, brackets, etc.). Here's a sample conf with the parameter (don't copy the sample completely as it may differ from your NAS's configuration file):

Code: Select all

{
    "check_for_updates" : true,
    "display_new_version": false,
    "use_upnp" : true,
    "storage_path" : "/share/HDA_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync/storage",

"directory_root" : "/share",
    "directory_root_policy" : "all",
    "vendor" : "qnap",
    "async_io": false,

"webui" :
    {
        "force_https": true,
        "listen" : "0.0.0.0:14860",
        "allow_empty_password" : false,
        "context":"{\"folder_blacklist\": [\"\/Qsync\", \"\/external\", \"\/HD[A-Z]_\", \"\/MD[0-9]_\"]}"
    }
}
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

Is there a way to do this in the Advanced Preferences? I am having the same problem: Resilio starts up fine, runs for 5 mins, then crashes...
LHirani
New here

Post by LHirani »

Thanks @alexbartok. That resolved it for me.

@TimRideout I couldn't find a way to do it in Advanced Preferences. In fact the setting doesn't show up there even after it's been added to the config. You'll need to follow steps detailed by @alexbartok.
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

Awesome!

Could you tell me how to access that file?
PS - I am a *total n00b, have no idea what Putty and SSh are... (yeah I know)

Thanks!
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

Ah - as I see from this post, that will no longer work, as they have deprecated server support for NAS, unless you are running the Business version:

https://forum.resilio.com/topic/72097-l ... build-270/

Thanks anyway...
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

TimRideout wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:21 pm Ah - as I see from this post, that will no longer work, as they have deprecated server support for NAS, unless you are running the Business version:

https://forum.resilio.com/topic/72097-l ... build-270/
What are you talking about? The deprecation is for running on Windows Servers:
Deprecated: support for WindowsServers for Sync Home Free and Pro
Unless I missed something, QNAP NASes are not Windows Servers (granted, you can run Windows Server in a VM on the NAS, but that's not what this is about).

QNAP NASes are still supported. As a matter of fact I coincidentally downloaded and installed the latest version (2.7.2) of Resilio Sync for QNAP today, and I'm running it with a Home Free license. It's available here: https://help.resilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/206178964
TimRideout
Know my way around

Post by TimRideout »

You are correct, and have not missed anything - yet.

I currently have a ticket open with Resilio to figure out why it's not working on both of my NAS's. yes, I've uninstalled and reinstalled and done everything possible including praying to the Storage Gods, all to no avail. So far, the best result is switching to Qsync. It has evolved quite a ways from the days of Yore.
LHirani
New here

Post by LHirani »

Hey @TimRideout, sorry have been quite busy. I am quite confident the solution that worked for me by @alexbartok, should also resolve your issue. Weirdly had this issue on the new NAS, but not an older one was fine, and both QNAPS and were running the latest version of resilio. I’ll put together steps you should be able to follow and share them, hopefully tomorrow. What do you normally use? I’ll assume Windows 10, unless you let me know otherwise. Thanks
LHirani
New here

Post by LHirani »

Hi @TimRideout, as promised, here is a step-by-step guide. Sorry if any of it is too obvious (treating you as "*total n00b" :) ), hopefully it should help you get it done.

You may need to enable SSH on your Windows device (please see - https://anto.online/guides/how-to-insta ... h-feature/)

Stop Resilio service running in the apps on the NAS

Open command prompt and SSH into your NAS (using your NAS admin account (not a NAS user as they won’t have the necessary permission later) and NAS IP address) e.g.
ssh admin@912.168.0.2

enter your nas password

You should now be connected to your NAS (please remember you are now in a case sensitive world)
If you connected using your NAS admin login, you’ll see “Console Management - Main Menu” with various options (If you connected using an ordinary user, you won’t see this and should go back and use the NAS admin user)

Select the last option “Q : Quit (return to normal shell environment)”

type:
Q and press enter and confirm by typing Y

You should now be in the shell environment.

type:
cd /share
and then
ls

you’ll have a directory listed that has CahcheDev1 in the name. In my case it’s “CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA”

Navigate to the ResilioSync folder:
cd CE_CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ResilioSync

if you now type ls, you should see the resilio-sync.conf file listed

Create a copy of this file, just in case something goes wrong:
cp resilio-sync.conf resilio-sync.conf.bak
(type ls to double check resilio-sync.conf.bak now exists)

We can now edit the resilio config file, type:
vi resilio-sync.conf
(it’ll open in vi (if you need more help on vi, see - https://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html))

type
i
(this will switch to INSERT mode, you should also see “- - INSERT - -“ at the bottom)
Using your cusor keys Go to the end of “vendor” : “qnap”
Press enter and add:
“async_io” : false,
(type this in carefully and ensure there are no quotes around false and there is comma at the end)

Press “esc” to exist insert mode
type
:wq
(the file should now have been updated and you should be back to the normal shell environment)

Start Resilio service in the apps on the NAS

This should now resolve the issue. If it still crashes, double check the resilio config file.

(There are different ways of doing different bits of this, I feel this is one of the simpler routes)

Any issues, please post info here and will try to help.
testsieger2001
First post

Post by testsieger2001 »

Thank you, danke, Merci!!!! I have a 251+, 16GB and was desperated. Running since 24h now without any problem
PikachuEXE
First post

Post by PikachuEXE »

I followed the instructions and now it stop crashing. Thanks!
Any chance that this change will be made default?
alcoholjustice
First post

Post by alcoholjustice »

Thank you very much for this simple patch. Please do mark this as [SOLVED] in the title.

Return to “BitTorrent Sync”