TP Link Router connect to QNAP L2TP/IPSec VPN

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
chantavu
Starting out

TP Link Router connect to QNAP L2TP/IPSec VPN

Post by chantavu »

Hi there,
I am having TS-212P with OpenVPN and L2TP enabled at the location A. I can use my iPad or desktop to connect to my NAS with OpenVPN without any issue.
However, I now have a router at another location B. The router is TP Link MR200 which (according to the manual) support IPSec. But I tried to connect the router to NAS, nothing happened. Can anyone help advise how to configure the router and NAS to connect to each other.

Thank you,
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TP Link Router connect to QNAP L2TP/IPSec VPN

Post by dolbyman »

sure the l2tp works on the kirkwood?

I always thought that was not available on those old nas

but if openvpn works..why don't you use openvpn(client) to connect the router to the nas ?
chantavu
Starting out

Post by chantavu »

What I am trying to do here is to connect my TP Link router at the location B to my NAS which is in another location.
At the location B, I have Samsung speakers, Smart TV which can play media from NAS but the NAS is located in the location A.
How can I enable a connection between router at location B to NAS. On the TP Link router at location B, there are only few lines of commands which allow me to do. It claims it support L2TP, PPTP, IPSEC but I am not sure how to make it work. Any advice ? Thank you,
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

last time I checked,my qnap could only do pptp and openvpn(kirkwood arm, like yours) ... but not doing vpn on my router anymore ..so haven't checked in a while

see what vpn servers are supported and use whatever is there ..if you have to fall back to pptp, do it then .. risks are low if it is wired lan2lan ...for connections from public places, pptp is not advised

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”