Disabling UPNP in myQNAPcloud link does nothing

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
bigjimmy
New here

Disabling UPNP in myQNAPcloud link does nothing

Post by bigjimmy »

I have unchecked the upnp setting in myQNAPcloud (under "Auto Router Configuration") as I do not need to access my NAS outside of my network.

However, after looking through the UPNP rules in my router and looking at the logs, I can see that the qnap NAS is still opening ports on my router, seemingly ignoring the above setting.

Is there a way to get the NAS to stop opening ports on my router? I don't want to disable UPNP for my entire network as it will cause problems for one of my other devices.

I want to do this as looking through my router logs I can see lots of probing requests where my network is being probed for open ports, and I can see that they have discovered that there is an open port on the NAS as they keep hitting it with requests, probably looking for a vulnerability.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disabling UPNP in myQNAPcloud link does nothing

Post by dolbyman »

Don't know what other devices you have .. but a manual portforward for [that other device] should be better than this gaping security hole named upnp.

Cloudlink (tunnel via QNAP servers) does not use upnp / autorouter config. Directly exposing services does.

Maybe you already have a malware infection on the NAS that is controlling upnp itself
bigjimmy
New here

Post by bigjimmy »

That manual port forward for the other device sounds like a good idea. I'll look into this.

It still seems daft that the setting in myQNAPcloud link does nothing. I might open up a support ticket.

Looking at the UPNP table on my router, it shows that the NAS has opened up the following ports. I've ssh'd into the NAS and have inspected the processes running on the open ports:

8080 - The web portal
80 - apache - no idea why this is running as there is nothing served
443 - apache_pr - again, no idea why this is running as nothing is served
52935 - No process running on this port, but the NAS has opened it

52935 is the one that is concerning me and is getting probed in the logs a lot. I've disabled UPNP at the router for now.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

bigjimmy wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:04 am I've disabled UPNP at the router for now.
That is the key requirement to secure your NAS.
bigjimmy
New here

Post by bigjimmy »

Thanks. I've done this. The NAS could also be secured if this checkbox in the admin tools worked.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”