Networking issue, probably caused by double-NAT

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
RudiW
Starting out

Networking issue, probably caused by double-NAT

Post by RudiW »

I'm having to use a double-NAT setup, which causes issues for my NAS' networking, that I'm trying to solve here.

This is the network:
home network.png
Things seem fine for all connected devices, except for the NAS. It seems to be unable to access the internet, e.g. to update its certificates, or for me to access it via myqnapcloud when I'm not in the local network, or to connect to a remove VPN.

Now, this is the message I'm greeted with when logging onto the NAS via its local IP address:
2021-12-01_12-15.png
Going to the mentioned page, I see nothing wrong. But then again, I really don't know much about networking.
2021-12-01_13-07.png
If it's relevant, this is what the routing section looks like:
2021-12-01_13-44.png
I'm completely in the dark about the possible problem here, so if someone could point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated. Do I need to setup some static route?

PS: To be able to use the VPN server, I set up port forwarding on both routers. I have done the same for the NAS, at least for the ports I'm aware of.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RudiW
Starting out

Re: Networking issue, probably caused by double-NAT

Post by RudiW »

If this is better posted in another category, please do let me know.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

why would you connect to the NAS via port forwarding(qnapcloud) if you run a vpn server?

it's like leaving the steel front door open

the DNS message has many previous topics..did you try the search?
RudiW
Starting out

Post by RudiW »

Hey, many thanks for your reply!

To start with my original issue - it seems to have solved itself.... After having been shown this message for the past several months every single time I logged in to the device.. it is now gone. When I ssh into the device, and ping google, it finds it (I didn't try this before, but I suspect it would have failed).

It's a bit unsatisfying, not knowing where the error came from or where it went, but I guess I'll just be happy it's gone.

To answer your first question - it's mainly out of convenience, and I haven't had the VPN server for very long. But maybe you're right - it's bad practice and I should take the opportunity to change it now. I could just use the VPN server to get into the LAN with any device I want to connect to the NAS with, and then use the NAS's local IP address. There is one problem I see with this that I cannot immediately solve, and that is concerning an (older) NAS offsite, that I use for synchronisation and backup. It does not support connecting to a wireguard vpn server. I will have to figure something out for that one.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You put a VPN device on the spot. (router,raspi,etc) that will do the VPN tunnel transparent to any devices on the networks (just a different subnet for the devices involved)

convenience is the death of security ... 2 large scale malware waves in 2021 have shown that people do not have sufficient backups ("but but .. that's what a RAID is for ?!?!?!") and many have lost all their files forever

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”