can't access my QNAP NAS via website locally

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
thomas.ngo1
First post

can't access my QNAP NAS via website locally

Post by thomas.ngo1 »

I'm trying to set up remote access to give myself access to my files when I'm out of my home. According to the videos, I need to first setup the remote access feature on my QNAP dashboard. but when I try to access the NAS (I get an error message: 403 error - "You don't have permission to access this resource"). the strangest part is I can ping the NAS, I can file transfer to my NAS. But cannot access the NAS via IP address. I recently modify the NAS IP from DHCP to DHCP Reserve.

-Thomas
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: can't access my QNAP NAS via website locally

Post by Toxic17 »

so you are trying to access your NAS dashboard with the right credentials? admin or a username that has administrator privileges?

are you accessing the NAS with the correct port number on the end of the url??

have you tried using QFinder Pro and login from there?
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Personally, I would suggest setting up and using a VPN instead. Enabling internet access to the admin functions on your NAS (or router,servers etc) opens too many doors for my liking. Much safer to use a VPN to connect securely to your network, then you can access all the devices.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
potatochobit
New here

Post by potatochobit »

people keep saying this but how is using a VPN safer?
if hackers get your home IP address how is that different than hackers getting your VPN IP address?
they can attempt to access your NAS exactly the same

or do you mean you want to use a VPN for a random IP address each time you log in?
if you do that, how are you going to do remote backups? If you keep changing your telephone number everyday, how are your friends supposed to call you?
unless you dont actually use your NAS for backing up files, I don't see how this is useful
of course, my knowledge is four or five years outdated so maybe you know a better way?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
potatochobit wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:12 am people keep saying this but how is using a VPN safer?
The usual advice is to run a VPN server instance on your router. Then, when you're outside your LAN and want to access it, you connect your client device to the server instance first, establishing a private tunnel through the public Internet.

Note: this is different from a paid, anonymising VPN service - it's a free service you host yourself.

This is recommended as VPN server authentication is quite hardened against hacking. The software offered by QNAP is not hardened against external attackers, and exposure has led to many hacked QNAP units over the last few years. Even QNAP finally recognised this a while back: https://blog.qnap.com/nas-internet-connect-en/

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
potatochobit
New here

Post by potatochobit »

thanks for the reply
I have considered setting up some kind of PPPOE
I do have three netgear nighthawk routers so I think they are capable
I did try this like 10 years ago and I remember that anytime the VPN tunnel was on I would lose all connectivity to the world wide web
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

PPPoE has no usage here..you need a VPN setup...there is many guides

Check for one that fits your router model (VPN server on router)

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”