Remote access to NAS after Qlocker?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
starnz
Starting out

Remote access to NAS after Qlocker?

Post by starnz »

Hello, newbie question looking for help configurating my system. I have had a TVS-682 for about 3 years for use as a home server. I mostly use it as a replacement for cloud storage such as dropbox or onedrive but I also host movies that I stream mostly on my network. When I originally set things up, I had qfile and qsync set up on my external devices. I was able to save things to my nas remotely and access files from my nas remotely.
I was unfortunately affected by the Qlocker attack. It wasn't a big deal for me as everything that was compromised I had a copy of elsewhere. But it did give me reason to question the security of my set up. I'm no expert in networking but I know my original settings had uPnP enabled. I now am seeing it suggested to turn off uPnP and Manually forward ports for remote access. Is that correct? Ultimately I would like to have remote access if there is a safe and secure way. I have an Orbi mesh system and am vaguely familiar with the port forwarding process but wanted an opinion on if that is the best route to take.

Thanks
dosborne
Experience counts

Re: Remote access to NAS after Qlocker?

Post by dosborne »

As discussed in MANY threads, primarily the QLocker and Deadbolt dedicated threads, you should run a VPN server (preferably on your router or worst case another device such as a raspberry pi). You then install a client on your devices. When away from home, you connect your device to your home VPN server through this VPN app, then you have a full secure connection to your home lan and can access all the devices as if you were local.

UPnP and port forwarding lead to all kinds of security vulnerabilities. Read the Deadbolt thread for lots of details?
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
starnz
Starting out

Post by starnz »

Will do, thanks for the advice!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

port forwarding manually or via upnp is effectively the same .. same attack vector in the end (port forwards)
starnz
Starting out

Post by starnz »

So after looking into your suggestion of placing my vpn on my router, I have a couple questions.

As stated, I have an Orbi system which does appear to offer the ability to run my VPN on the router. I have had Nord VPN service for a while so it looks like I can run my NordVPN on my Orbi via OpenVPN? I'm not familiar with OpenVPN but I assume thats the starting point for installing my Nord account on Orbi?

Also, I believe I have disabled my nas from accessing the internet. The UPnP is not enabled and the web connectivity is turned off in the myqnapcloud page. However, one of my main computers that I use away from the home is still able to save files to my nas remotely. None of the newer devices that I am trying to set up can access remotely. Why could this be?

I was reading something published by qnap stating that myqnapcloud link was one of their preferred methods for accessing your nas remotely. Is this a safe way? are you able to save files to the nas or just access existing files using this link?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

NordVPN is an annomizer VPN for illegal downloads ... has nothing to do with what you want to do(remote access)

You run your own VPN server for remote access ...costs nothing
googleg
Getting the hang of things

Post by googleg »

starnz wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 6:24 am So after looking into your suggestion of placing my vpn on my router, I have a couple questions.

As stated, I have an Orbi system which does appear to offer the ability to run my VPN on the router. I have had Nord VPN service for a while so it looks like I can run my NordVPN on my Orbi via OpenVPN? I'm not familiar with OpenVPN but I assume thats the starting point for installing my Nord account on Orbi?
tely. None of the newer devices that I am trying to set up can access remotely. Why could this be?
Forget about NordVPN, it is not needed in this context. What you need is to setup your router as an OpenVPN server, and download and install the OpenVPN client (https://openvpn.net/vpn-client/) on the machine(s) that need to access your network remotely.
Also, I believe I have disabled my nas from accessing the internet. The UPnP is not enabled and the web connectivity is turned off in the myqnapcloud page. However, one of my main computers that I use away from the home is still able to save files to my nas remotely. Why could this be?
If that's the case then double check your NAS setup (in HBS3 under services) or in myqnapcloud; you must have left something enabled somewhere.
I was reading something published by qnap stating that myqnapcloud link was one of their preferred methods for accessing your nas remotely. Is this a safe way? are you able to save files to the nas or just access existing files using this link?
I have the same impression, i.e. myqnapcloud is safe... But since there's very little details available on the vectors used for the recent malware attacks, I'm still looking for a confirmation that myqnapcloud is not part of the problem.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”