If MyQnapCloud stopped working, how to access to my QNAP239 in order to backup my data?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
mopi1402
Starting out

If MyQnapCloud stopped working, how to access to my QNAP239 in order to backup my data?

Post by mopi1402 »

Hello,

I've two QNAP.
The first one is at home. The second one, a QNAP 239 Pro II+ is in my parent's home.

If MyQnapCloud stopped working, how to access to my QNAP239 in order to backup my data ?

I understand security concern, but what can I do now if it's not recommanded to access it remotely ?

Thanks.
OneCD
Guru

Re: If MyQnapCloud stopped working, how to access to my QNAP239 in order to backup my data?

Post by OneCD »

* topic split from viewtopic.php?f=313&t=170497 *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Re: If MyQnapCloud stopped working, how to access to my QNAP239 in order to backup my data?

Post by dolbyman »

Setup your own VPN and forget about QNAPcloud (it's just a DDNS setting for exposed units anyways)

That was both a caution AND what to do (Setup a VPN to access our NAS on your own terms)
mopi1402
Starting out

Post by mopi1402 »

Ok, thank you for your answer.

I will give a try when I will have some time...
For right now, I don't know how to setup my own VPN, but I did not search for it.
And I don't know if my CyberGhost account can be use for this kind of purpose.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

No..setting up your own VPN for remote access, has nothing to do with paid anonymizer VPN accounts
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

A VPN is relatively simple to set up, particular both routers support it. Lots of guides and walkthroughs. Just google your router model and VPN :)

The best option, imo, is a 2 way secure link between the routers. No 3rd party apps are required, nor is there any cost. The routers just create a VPN server / client link between them.

This secure link bridges the 2 networks (home and remote) so that (depending on how you set it up) devices on one segment can access devices in the other, and vice versa, in the same way they would if they were all in one home location.

If your routers don't support it directly (get a newer router?) you can also use an appliance device such as a raspberry Pi ($35) on each end, or the QNAP VPN although that one is not a great choice.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”