Bit lost on FTP and HTTP linking TS219P II

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
fmzip
Starting out

Bit lost on FTP and HTTP linking TS219P II

Post by fmzip » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:39 pm

I used to have all my shared files located at Comcast. In the past I would upload them to Comcast via an FTP program called SMart Ftp. Once the file was uploaded, I could then right click on the file and click "copy http"

The http link would look like this from my FTP upload:

http://home.comcast.net/~fmzip/BMW/newb ... ot0003.jpg

I could then imbed that link into a forum post just like I did. As Comcast turned off this feature for now the second time, I no longer want to use a third party to handle my files. My question is, can I do this with my QNAP?

I believe I have the first part figured out:

I have my qnap setup properly for FTP. I can access it on my LAN and on the web, I can use the same program SMART FTP program and I can upload files to my Qnap rather easily. My router and QNAP is setup properly following this tutorial

https://www.qnap.com/i/en/tutorial/con_ ... id=25#ap03

My host name under DDNS lets say is "fakeabcdefg".gotdns.com, is that or will that be my HTTP link or is it not HTTP?? How do I allow access to the gotdns.com without having a user log in? Is that not smart to do? Do I need to setup my NAS as a Proxy server? I see that tab next to DDNS what port should it be set at?

Do I need to do something with my ASUS router like this?

http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... /HTTPS.htm

Lost here and I am not a network expert so please provide input with that in mind :)

Ont eh QNAP site it say this :

Securely share files with a URL

There are numerous ways to share files over the Internet. Among them a single download link is considered to be the most convenient way. The QNAP File Station now allows sharing multiple files with unique URLs that can be clicked to download without requiring any user login. This eliminates complicated privilege configurations and the login process. Security is ensured with SSL and password options. The Turbo NAS owner can also set an URL expiration time for the shared URLs.

Thanks

fmzip
Starting out

Re: Bit lost on FTP and HTTP linking TS219P II

Post by fmzip » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:56 pm

Anyone????

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:19 pm

fmzip wrote:Anyone????

You can embed both http://XXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com/Public/filename.ext and ftp://XXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com/Public/filename.ext URLs in your Webpages. This will work as long as you have Port forwarding in place in your Router for both HTTP and FTP.

If your Router doesn't support NAT-Loopback, then you will be unable to use these URL's from inside your network. (Most consumer-grade Routers do NOT support this feature. Fortunately for me, mine does).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply.

Here's a link I created but how do I imbed it instead of it going to a download page and right clicking on the download link button and copying that link and imbededding it?
Last edited by fmzip on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:20 am

fmzip wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Here's a link I created but how do I imbed it instead of it going to a download page and right clicking on the download link button and copying that link and imbededding it?

http://XXXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0ngGe1Z (download page
http://XXXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0ngGe1Z&openfolder=forcedownload&ep=LS0tLQ==&path= (direct download created)
http://XXXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0ngGe1Z&fid=0ngGe1Z&ep=LS0tLQ==&open=normal (this is the link I want but can't seem to find a simple way to get it)

Your URL: http://XXXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com:8080/share.cgi?ssid=0ngGe1Z&fid=0ngGe1Z&ep=LS0tLQ==&open=normal

Works just fine. I see a photo of a waterfall. This is not what I was recommending, but it works.

(I masked out your myqnapcloud.com address so that I am not responsible for furthering the Spam/Hacking you just volunteered for by publishing your information in a Public Forum).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 am

I guess I don't understand where you are pointing me to get the same link...............

I am trying to find the easiest way to grab an imeddable link off my qnap, how shall I go about it other than getting them through file station?

I'd rather not make something open/hackable as you are suggesting that I am doing. If I embed the link instead like below, isn't it still accesible/hackable?

Where is this "public" directory located or how do you make a public directory? Is that what I should be doing? I need to post items like above on public forums just like this so what's the best/safest way to go about it??

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:05 pm

fmzip wrote:I guess I don't understand where you are pointing me to get the same link...............

I am trying to find the easiest way to grab an imeddable link off my qnap, how shall I go about it other than getting them through file station?

I'd rather not make something open/hackable as you are suggesting that I am doing. If I embed the link instead like below, isn't it still accesible/hackable?

Where is this "public" directory located or how do you make a public directory? Is that what I should be doing? I need to post items like above on public forums just like this so what's the best/safest way to go about it??

Your pre-existing FTP Server on your NAS should already make /share/Public browsable (if enabled).

Try: ftp://XXXXXXX.myqnapcloud.com/Public you should see the contents of your "Public" share.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:09 pm

I don't have a directory on my NAS called share/public

I must have deleted it. If I create a new directory as above, how to I set folder permissions so there is no log on necessary?

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:24 pm

fmzip wrote:I don't have a directory on my NAS called share/public

I must have deleted it. If I create a new directory as above, how to I set folder permissions so there is no log on necessary?

I sure hope you didn't. Removing the default "Public" share from your NAS will break it. Many of QNAP's scripts use the location of the "Public" share to figure out the volume to put everything else on.

Lets not debate it. Why don't we simply ask your NAS instead. Please access your NAS via SSH, login as "admin", and run:

Code: Select all

testparm -s -l --section-name=Public 2>/dev/null ; ls -alF /share/Public

Please cut&paste the output of this command back to this message thread.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Thanks for the help

SSH/telnet is enable but when logging in, the password for admin does not work.....

It obviously isn't the same as my NAS and I don't recall what I made it..

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:39 pm

fmzip wrote:Thanks for the help

SSH/telnet is enable but when logging in, the password for admin does not work.....

It obviously isn't the same as my NAS and I don't recall what I made it..

That would depend entirely on the Operating System installed on your PC. (Question #1 of article: When you're asking a question, please include the following).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:51 pm

windows 8.1 pro

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:57 pm

fmzip wrote:windows 8.1 pro

Yes. You will need to download an SSH client for your Windows 8.1 Pro machine. I recommend installing PuTTY as an SSH client for your Windows machine.

SSH has been around since 1996, but Microsoft continues to choose not to provide an SSH client with Windows. PuTTY has very favourable licencing. It is "free to use", even in a Corporate environment. (Both OS X and Linux provide a client in the OS)

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:34 am

Don't know where this discussion is going to...

The NAS has a file share feature, which does unfortunately not work as a direct link for media inclusion - we've asked several times to make this properly.

On the other hand, the NAS has a simple Web Server, when it's enabled, you can put files on the Web shared folder, say under a folder linking, upload image.jpg ... and now you can reference it it as http://fakeabcdefg.gotdns.com/linking/image.jpg and include it here like

Code: Select all

[img]http://fakeabcdefg".gotdns.com/linking/image.jpg[/img]

No need for the Public shared folder (note: uppercase).

fmzip
Starting out

Post by fmzip » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:52 am

I cannot login via putty.....

the admin password doesn't work via putty. As I mentioned, I used the same admin password as I have setup with the NAS, I also tried the default "admin" password, that doesn't work either

Moving on to further issues, I tried creating a new "shared folder" called Share with guest right access to read only, "no password required". (I also tried creating a different folder with same credentials) If I try to access the newly created shared folder directly via FTP, it requires a log in. If I log in via my admin credentials, I have full access to it. Same if I access that directory via file manager with the QNAP interface, full access.

However, if I access the newly created Share directory in Windows with any user with admin rights other than admin, I can access the top directory, but I get accessed denied if I try to create a sub folder etc. I've tried to refresh the sub folder rules, that doesn't provide any different result. All my other directories I created moons ago I can still access freely via windows. This goes the same for the File Manager QNAP interface, even though I am an admin, I don't seem to have full admin rights when I create something new

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”