Cannot access NAS thru myqnapcloud DDNS

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
carlosebermudez
First post

Cannot access NAS thru myqnapcloud DDNS

Post by carlosebermudez » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:53 am

I can connect if I go directly to www.myqnapcloud.com
I can connect if I type in the device's IP address
I can connect thru Qfile on my iphone using xxx.myqnapcloud.com
I cannot connect thru my DDNS address xxx.myqnapcloud.com
I have restarted the NAS
I have restarted the Router
I have deleted all browsing data from google chrome.
If I click on TEST web connectivity it goes green, but I cannot connect thru xxx.myqnapcloud.com

This started happening all of the sudden.

schumaku
Guru

Re: Cannot access NAS thru myqnapcloud DDNS

Post by schumaku » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:49 pm

carlosebermudez wrote:I can connect if I type in the device's IP address
I cannot connect thru my DDNS address xxx.myqnapcloud.com

Test form your computer command line...
ping xxx.myqnapcloud.com
...or...
nslookup xxx.myqnapcloud.com
...should resolve to the same IP.

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Dear schumaku,
I tried ping and nslookup and both resolve in same external IP address as can be read in QTS web pages under My DDNS. Yet, access via this IP is not possible. Any idea why this could be?

john byrne
Getting the hang of things

Post by john byrne » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:16 am

Christiaan5,

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm getting no response when I ping myqnapcloud and I'm wondering if that's at the root of my problems in setting up VPN.

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:17 pm

4 Year later,
But still having issues again.
I maintain 3 NAS devices at 3 locations.
In 2016 I resolved the access to my main NAS with different router setup.
Situation when it did not work:
My modem/router/etc from my provider was in bridge mode, I had one main router which was via VPN connected to the internet. The idea was, all devices in my household would have VPN. The connection to the NAS however did not work well. I even tried making the NAS available via DMZ and that worked to some extent.
I decided to drop the idea.
Situation when it did work:
Modem/router/etc from my provider in normal mode, extra router changed into accesspoint mode. Every device can make its own VPN internet when required.
The other 2 NAS are at 2 other locations, having a same modem/router/etc from same provider.
Now 4 year laters, 2 of the 3 NAS devices are exchanged and al of a sudden DDNS works partly only.
With a webbrowser I could access all 3. But the new NAS devices cannot solve the name of the other new NAS devices...very strange.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:15 am

what qnap nas model were you using to begin with? and did you update your qts and apps ? or were you using outdated software?

just don't use myqnapcloud. Use VPN. You should setup the VPN server to run on your router only, then that will be the entry point into your network. So people connecting remotely via vpn, would use say qfinder, or you manually enter the lan ip for your nas and it can connect.

As for vpn performance, depends on multiple things
- your internet speed?
- your router specs?

rather than using myqnapcloud for ddns, some users instead use container station in QTS, to then setup in docker a DDNS e.g. cloudflare.
Easiest way I found was running a small container in Container Station to monitor your IP and update it on Cloudflare when it changes.

edit: currently using this one https://hub.docker.com/r/joshava/cloudflare-ddns/
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... e/fm8vdll/
https://www.cloudflare.com/learning/cdn ... rse-proxy/

did you configure your qnap nas with static lan ips ? :'

also before you use dmz, you should be asking yourself and finding out whether that is something safe to do or not.

Is it safe to DMZ NAS, or at least open ports to it?
https://www.reddit.com/r/freenas/commen ... pen_ports/

If you inappropriately expose your nas to the internet, you may end up getting your nas and your network hacked into. and all sorts of damage can be done :?
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ation_and/
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/security-advisories/
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 am

Hi Moogle Stiltzkin,

Thanks for your reply.
You start asking and telling me thinks I do not really understand.

First the simple questions:
I was using TS-210 + TS-212P + HS-251+
The TS-210 + TS-212P are replaced by 2xTS-230.
I always update the firmware of all NAS devices when a new is available.
Initially I setup all NAS with static LAN ip-address, but currently I see no reason to do so, so all are back to Auto via DHCP.

You are the second person who indicates I should not use myqnapcloud. Having remote access via myqnapcloud is one of the reasons to buy QNAP devices. You mean it is not safe? Why would QNAP not make it safe?

You write I should use VPN, next you write a VPN server should run on my router...I think I have to make clear I do understand a bit about networks, but not very much.
I believe I am not able to run a VPN server on the modem/router provided by my provider. It only provides some simple configurations for DHCP/port forwarding/firewall etc

When I had this modem/router in bridge mode, my own router was running a VPN client I guess. I had a paid account at ExpressVPN.com and the router would connect to their VPN servers. This router currently is in accesspoint mode. Currently I have a ViperVPN account. On one NAS I make a VPN connection to the ViperVPN servers when I use Download Station. After a few months I always remove all the materials downloaded and therefore I do not share anything back to bittorrents anymore. I seldom use download station, so often de VPN is not operational.

I do not know how to, but if I could run a VPN server on a router. How do we address this? How do we setup a VPN connection from somewhere to my home? My internet provider does not give me with a fixed IP address or hostname...
I think I do understand if I have a VPN connection to my home network from remote, it is as if I am in the home network, so I can just type in the name of the NAS for access. This is a similar situation when working at home and accessing the network at work.

You lost me with that stuf about cloudflare-ddns. Is it an app I can download and run in Container Station?
I believe I do not have Container Station running on any of my NAS's, since I have no application for it. All NAS are lite.
Why would DDNS via cloudflare be safer than via myqnapcloud?
DDNS = only a translation from name into ip-address...correct?

The DMZ thing was just a test to see if I could get it working...when googling DMZ at that time I remember it was not safe to do and therefore I left that idea.

Well it is a scary story about that QSnatch Malware...but disconnecting the NAS from internet is not really an option is it? How should I synchronize information between the different NAS's? How to access remotely?

I like the idea of running VPN somehow, but I simply do not know how...

In terms of safety I am not very concerned, since I have been using this setup for years now without any problems really. Maybe this is just luck.

My real problem is, the new NAS's cannot resolve the name of the other new NAS. So let us say nas4 cannot resolve mynas5.myqnapcloud.com and the other way around. If I use WAN IP-address I do get my Sync jobs (in HBS3) to work, but not with the DDNS naming. For me this was the reason to have this DDNS enabled, so I do not have to update the IP-addresses all the time the provider changes the WAN IP-addresses.
Very strange is I can access all NAS's with a webbrowser with this DDNS naming.

Thanks for any input.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:48 am

You sadly fell for fancy marketing ploys to advertise a NAS (for your local network) as cloud appliance (for web access)

It's like keeping your door unlocked (using a twist tie to keep the wind from blowing it open) with a neon sign saying .. no entry for burglars.

You actively promote open access to your private data in your private home, you see the issue here ? More and more criminals are exploiting this.

Risks are:

- Infection with cryptominers (using your electricity to generate crypto currency for the criminals)
- Ransomware (encrypting your private data for ransom, usually bitcoin. All you precious documents lost forever, as decryption is often fake)
- A variety of trojan droppers capable of using your NAS as a hub for illegal activity (darknet nodes, file sharing of pronographic/terror related files), proxies, etc.

To name a few:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/cisa-says ... h-malware/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/qnap-nas- ... e-attacks/
https://www.zdnet.com/article/qnap-tell ... ansomware/

This is all easily mitigated by using a VPN server on your router and connecting to your home network that way.

And if you want to share files publicly use services like onedrive,dopbox,etc.

Moogle Stiltzkin
Ask me anything

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 am

Christiaan5 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:37 am
Hi Moogle Stiltzkin,

Thanks for your reply.
You start asking and telling me thinks I do not really understand.
no problem, it's understandable :} i'll try to answer as simply as i can.

Christiaan5 wrote:

First the simple questions:
I was using TS-210 + TS-212P + HS-251+
The TS-210 + TS-212P are replaced by 2xTS-230.
I always update the firmware of all NAS devices when a new is available.
yes updating firmware regularly is good. but unfortunately, at the same time we need to be wary. sometimes the qts firmware builds are not stable. so before you update, check the forum if it's stable or not, usually we see what others say about it. This is an example firmware thread where we can read discussions on this
viewtopic.php?f=142&t=157116

If you want to delay update, probably can defer a week or 2. Probly update sooner if you notice on security advisory some critical issue that got fixed.

Christiaan5 wrote:
Initially I setup all NAS with static LAN ip-address, but currently I see no reason to do so, so all are back to Auto via DHCP.
personally i found issues when letting my router DHCP assign lan ips for my qnaps. even if i set them to static dhcp reserved ips. Sometimes odd things happen when my router goes down, the ip changes. So to TOTALLY avoid this scenario (where something happens to your router that is pushing out the lan ips), it's just simply better to set a static for EACH of your qnaps on their OWN qts settings which should be located under virtual switch networking i believe. You don't even need to create a virtual switch if you don't want to, but edit the ethernet port you are using and set a fixed lan ip for it. Make sure all your devices are using the same subnet e.g. 255.255.255.0

Christiaan5 wrote:

You are the second person who indicates I should not use myqnapcloud. Having remote access via myqnapcloud is one of the reasons to buy QNAP devices. You mean it is not safe? Why would QNAP not make it safe?
Using myqnapcloud can be an easy way to get your nas accessibly online (especially if your router had upnp enabled WHICH I DO NOT RECOMMEND). But just because it made it easier to do, DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU SHOULD. Well you have to ask qnap about that. They do make some effort to educate on their social media

https://www.youtube.com/c/QNAPCollege/videos
https://www.youtube.com/c/qnapsys/videos

Christiaan5 wrote:
You write I should use VPN, next you write a VPN server should run on my router...I think I have to make clear I do understand a bit about networks, but not very much.
i understand this is complicated. Even i didn't bother doing this myself, because for my own usage i do not require remote access so i saved myself some headache setting this up. but i did some somewhat for what to do, in case later i need it. I suggest you watch the tutorials on youtube to learn how to do this. here is one example which i recommend (this example uses pfsense router which i highly recommend, since it's one of the most secure router software especially if you intend to do remote access)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgielyUFGeQ

The gist is, your router runs a VPN server. You can then generate VPN certs which you provide to your client device e.g. a pc which is located remotely. that remote pc would then use openvpn client app, and using that vpn cert, and enter your vpn credentials, to then login to your vpn securely via a tunnel between your client and your vpn server. This traffic would be encrypted assuming you followed lawrence's recommendations. Your qnap on the other side of that tunnel can then be accessed as if you were on the same lan. So you go your browser enter your nas ip as usual and just login.

Christiaan5 wrote:
I believe I am not able to run a VPN server on the modem/router provided by my provider. It only provides some simple configurations for DHCP/port forwarding/firewall etc
users such as myself that do torrenting, require a better router than what the ISP usually provides. so we replace the router with our own. I started out with an Asus AC68U. then later replaced for a QOTOM I3 5005U loaded with pfsense.

Some ISPs allow you to replace the router. But sometimes they are strict and make it hard for you to use your own router. I am not familiar with your isp, so i don't know what is possible for you. I suggest you browse online to your local country tech forum and see what they discuss about your ISP and see what is possible to do in regards to using your own router, and how to set that up. That is how i learned.

Christiaan5 wrote:

When I had this modem/router in bridge mode, my own router was running a VPN client I guess. I had a paid account at ExpressVPN.com and the router would connect to their VPN servers. This router currently is in accesspoint mode. Currently I have a ViperVPN account. On one NAS I make a VPN connection to the ViperVPN servers when I use Download Station. After a few months I always remove all the materials downloaded and therefore I do not share anything back to bittorrents anymore. I seldom use download station, so often de VPN is not operational.
expressvpn is good but that is for a different purpose. This subscription based vpns only hide your real ip, usually for bypassing geo blocks, or for the purposes of torrenting safely. You are essentially connecting to their VPN servers (gateways) for that intended purpose.

Whereas the VPN i am talking about is setting up your own vpn server which is located on your router which is the gateway to your local area network. So you can then tunnel from remotely via a client device e.g. pc, laptop, smartphone etc, to your router vpn to then access your lan so you can then access your QNAP.

Christiaan5 wrote:
I do not know how to, but if I could run a VPN server on a router. How do we address this? How do we setup a VPN connection from somewhere to my home? My internet provider does not give me with a fixed IP address or hostname...
I think I do understand if I have a VPN connection to my home network from remote, it is as if I am in the home network, so I can just type in the name of the NAS for access. This is a similar situation when working at home and accessing the network at work.
If you don't have the time or inclination to learn this, you can always hire some tech support person to set it up for you. Someone had issues setting up their 10gbe networking for their office, and i just happen to know a competent local IT wizard consultant which i recommended them to. These types of services aren't free. You can try google who can help you with this locally so they can come over to your place and help you set that all up and educate you what kind of maintenance is required to keep this thing running correctly so you don't get hacked (the main thing is to update your qnap qts, your router, apps, and desktop windows 10 os etc, basically. Once the fella sets it up for you, you barely need to do much else, unless you compromised).

You lost me with that stuf about cloudflare-ddns. Is it an app I can download and run in Container Station?
I believe I do not have Container Station running on any of my NAS's, since I have no application for it. All NAS are lite.
Why would DDNS via cloudflare be safer than via myqnapcloud?
DDNS = only a translation from name into ip-address...correct?
Container station is a QNAP app in appcenter. It doesn't use much resources to run. the app i suggested helps you get cloudflare DDNS working on the QNAP. So you then do not have to rely on myqnapcloud for that purpose.

DDNS gives you a URL e.g. www.cnn.com rather than 175.156.234.0 a digit ip. Also if your ip frequently changes, this may be troublesome. so to make a fix ip, you can use a dyndns which will update to the new ip if it ever changes.

Christiaan5 wrote:
The DMZ thing was just a test to see if I could get it working...when googling DMZ at that time I remember it was not safe to do and therefore I left that idea.
i would not test with dmz. scary.

Christiaan5 wrote:
Well it is a scary story about that QSnatch Malware...but disconnecting the NAS from internet is not really an option is it? How should I synchronize information between the different NAS's? How to access remotely?
for users that REQUIRE REMOTE, you do make a point. However the remote setup needs to be done as securely as possible. Simply just exposing it anyhow is just not the way to do it.

If anyone is like me and do not require remote, just don't port forward the nas online or expose it. Thats one less unecessary risk.

Christiaan5 wrote:
I like the idea of running VPN somehow, but I simply do not know how...
takes time to learn. if you go youtube type vpn guide, you can find a lot of info that explains this. Or you can hire someone that does IT network consulting to help you set this up on premises.

Christiaan5 wrote:
In terms of safety I am not very concerned, since I have been using this setup for years now without any problems really. Maybe this is just luck.
if i were a hacker, i would snoop your system and not alert you about me presence. I can download whatever the ** i want without you knowing from your system. Or put some bit coin miners or botnets on your NAS and use up your resources (electricity and internet broadband). They can do lots of bad stuff..... security matters :'
https://www.zdnet.com/article/hundreds- ... r-attacks/

Christiaan5 wrote:
My real problem is, the new NAS's cannot resolve the name of the other new NAS. So let us say nas4 cannot resolve mynas5.myqnapcloud.com and the other way around. If I use WAN IP-address I do get my Sync jobs (in HBS3) to work, but not with the DDNS naming. For me this was the reason to have this DDNS enabled, so I do not have to update the IP-addresses all the time the provider changes the WAN IP-addresses.
Very strange is I can access all NAS's with a webbrowser with this DDNS naming.

Thanks for any input.
can't help with myqnapcloud. I straight up suggest not using it, and do the alternative i mentioned.

I do however use HBS3, that works fine for me :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS (HDN724040ALE640) & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A w. 5x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) EXT4 Raid5
[Backup] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) single disks.
[^] QNAP TS-659 Pro II
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-228
[^] QNAP TS-128
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Asus AC68U Router|100dl/50ul MBPS FTTH Internet | Win10, WC PC-Intel i7 920 Ivy bridge desktop (1x 512gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD + 1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Guides & articles
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:00 am

Thanks Moogle, I will investigate all your links and investigate the details further.
I appreciate your explanations a lot.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”