Private domain name point to NAS

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
stevenktw
New here

Private domain name point to NAS

Post by stevenktw »

Dear all,
I have created a wordpress blog and want to share to customer. I'd like to purchase a Domain name from Godaddy and wish to point to my NAS. My ISP only give me dynamic IP, is it possible to have my own domain that could point to my blog? E.g when my customers access http://blog.mydomain.com could go straight to my blog?

by the way, it works perfectly with myqnapcloud DDNS but i just want to have my own domain. Thank you.
GTunney
Been there, done that

Re: Private domain name point to NAS

Post by GTunney »

stevenktw wrote:Dear all,
I have created a wordpress blog and want to share to customer. I'd like to purchase a Domain name from Godaddy and wish to point to my NAS. My ISP only give me dynamic IP, is it possible to have my own domain that could point to my blog? E.g when my customers access http://blog.mydomain.com could go straight to my blog?

by the way, it works perfectly with myqnapcloud DDNS but i just want to have my own domain. Thank you.
You'll need to register for a Dynamic DNS service that offers the ability to use your own domain for an added cost.

Dyn-DNS and No-IP offer this service.
Model: TS-453D 8GB
Disks: 3 x 4TB Western Digital WD40EFRX - RAID 5
Total Storage: 7.2TB
Applications: Plex | Sonarr | QSabnzbd+ | Radarr | Home Assistant | MQTT/Z2M
Other Devices: Netgear D7000 AC1900 VDSL Router | FTTP - 1014/104 | Netgear GS108 Gigabit Switch
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

easiest way is to use myqnapcloud DDNS service and then modify the DNS of your godaddy domain (for example gtunney.com) to point to it. And on the NAS, go to WebServer settings, enable Virtual Hosts and point it to the /share/Web/Wordpress directory.

Here an example:

Code: Select all

blog 10800 IN CNAME gtunney.myqnapcloud.com.
This means that if you go to blog.gtunney.com you will be redirected to your NAS and since you have the Virtual Host, such request will be redirected to the /share/Web/Wordpress directory.
Qnap TS-253Pro 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 2 WRed 4TB (RAID 1)
Qnap TS-453A 16Gb RAM - Single Storage Pool: 4 WRed 4TB (RAID 5)
stevenktw
New here

Post by stevenktw »

giopas wrote:easiest way is to use myqnapcloud DDNS service and then modify the DNS of your godaddy domain (for example gtunney.com) to point to it. And on the NAS, go to WebServer settings, enable Virtual Hosts and point it to the /share/Web/Wordpress directory.

Here an example:

blog 10800 IN CNAME gtunney.myqnapcloud.com.
This means that if you go to blog.gtunney.com you will be redirected to your NAS and since you have the Virtual Host, such request will be redirected to the /share/Web/Wordpress directory.
I've tried this solution, but it seems do not work. I am wondering the TTL should be 10800 or 14440?
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Can you describe exactly the steps you have done?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
stevenktw
New here

Post by stevenktw »

giopas wrote:Can you describe exactly the steps you have done?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Hi, I have made it by using the CNAME method, but there is a problem that all the hyperlink in my blog is still direct to my qnapcloud domain (the url bar on the browser still shows myqnapcloud.com). Could this problem be solved? Thank you in advanced.
giopas
Been there, done that

Post by giopas »

Have you set up a Virtual Host?

You can do it easily through the QTS settings page, or through SSH modifying the right file in /etc/config/apache/extra/httpd-vhosts-user.conf.

Edit: here is the block you should add to the file:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerName blog.yourdomain.com
        DocumentRoot "/share/Web/wordpress"
</VirtualHost>
After that, either you restart the NAS or, easier, through SSH you restart apache:

/etc/init.d/Qhttpd.sh restart

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”