This content can’t be shown in a frame

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
ketchum-webhost
New here

This content can’t be shown in a frame

Post by ketchum-webhost »

Why do I get this error in Microsoft Edge (windows 10) when I go to my domain which points to my cloud DDNS (user.myqnapclould.com)? I have a TS-220 with QTS 4.2.2. When I click on the link "Open this in a new window" I get a new window and everything is fine but many of my users do not get this error message - they just get a blank page. How do I test to see what is really happening?
schumaku
Guru

Re: This content can’t be shown in a frame

Post by schumaku »

ketchum-webhost wrote:... my domain which points to my cloud DDNS (user.myqnapclould.com)
How?
ketchum-webhost wrote:When I click on the link "Open this in a new window" I get a new window and everything is fine but many of my users do not get this error message - they just get a blank page.
What link, what window, from where does this Web page come, how is it served?

Configure a CNAME for your host.domain.whatever pointing to user.myqnapcloud.com so no 3rd party Web pages with some nasty tricks with iframes or whatever are involved.
ketchum-webhost
New here

My GoDaddy domain used to work without a hitch and it is just forwarded to my ddns (which is now user.myqnapclould.com) that pointed to my QNAP default web page. I have not made a new web page yet. I think the problem is with myqnapclould because when I put in user.myqnapclould.com in a browser I get "We can't reach this page" error from Microsoft edge (even though my qnap clould control is indicating that the connection is good) but when I put in https://qlink.to/username it gets translated to something else and from my home computer it goes right to my admin account and logs in.

I guess I could add a www. to mydomain.org as a cname and try again but I don't see the point. There is noting wrong with the godaddy forwarding.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ketchum-webhost wrote:My GoDaddy domain used to work without a hitch and it is just forwarded to my ddns (which is now user.myqnapclould.com) that pointed to my QNAP default web page
Matter of fact, GoDaddy never forwarded. They always (ab)used an iframe. A redirect in http standards context would be the ubiquitous 302 temporary redirects, and 301 permanent redirects.
ketchum-webhost wrote:There is noting wrong with the godaddy forwarding.
Of course it is - modern browsers don't allow the garbage iframe game Godaddy does ... it's not a forwarding at all - the name is a lie, it always was: A Web forward is something different but presenting an outer iframe under a domain, and show the "inner" content form the effective DDNS URLs. The net is full of GoDaddy customers hit by this issue. Look here -> https://ch.godaddy.com/community/Managi ... td-p/42574
ketchum-webhost wrote: I think the problem is with myqnapclould because when I put in user.myqnapclould.com in a browser I get "We can't reach this page" error from Microsoft edge
This is a different issue. user.myqnapclould.com does resolve to an A record in DNS, an IPv4 address of your Internet connection (router) public IP address. If your router does not alow (or has not configued) what is commonly named NAT loopback, you can't reach the NAS Web Server or the QTS desktop or whatever other system form the local (W)LAN -> connecting to the public IP address on port 80 -> which should be forwarded to the NAS LAN IP. And if this connection can't be established ... the browser does throw this error message.
ketchum-webhost wrote:(even though my qnap clould control is indicating that the connection is good)
The myQNAPcloud infrastructure does test if it can reach the NAS on the port - from outside, form the Internet ... not from your LAN. Nothing myQNAPcloud or the QTS NAS or any system can do here.
ketchum-webhost wrote:but when I put in https://qlink.to/username it gets translated to something else and from my home computer it goes right to my admin account and logs in.
The qlink.to is not for Web pages - it's an optimiser to find the best possible connection from a Web browser to the QTS Web UI only. When you are on the same LAN, qlink.to does some magic ... establish a direct connection to the NAS LAN IP address. qlink.to can not be used for whatever Web Server service redirection or the like.

This is the point - no, these are the points. No way around a CNAME for the Web Server access form the Internet. No way around having NAT loopback on the router, or have the option on the router to create a split horizon DNS so your http://www.whatever.domainx does resolve on the (W)LAN to the NAS LAN IP address.

Regards,
-Kurt
ketchum-webhost
New here

Thanks Kurt. I am not a power user so it took a bit of time to figure out what you were talking about. Is there a good single textbook that covers all all this?

I fixed my problem by getting a DDNS from NOIP and setting my GoDaddy forward function to point to that. I then got rid of the :8080 on the end of the forward address so I came in to my QNAP server over port 80. This then worked after a fashion. Most of my users were able to access my QNAP.

I then tried to set up a subdomain for blogging using WordPress. Now I have real trouble. Since I am coming through a DDNS how do I get from my domain in GoDaddy to get through my DDNS to my QNAP web server with the right info to connect to WordPress? I first tried mydomanname.org/wordpress then I tried my DDNS with mylinkname.noip.net/wordpress. I can't seem to make this work but I am probably approaching it wrong.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”