HTTPS does not work

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
gamerforhire
New here

HTTPS does not work

Post by gamerforhire »

EDIT: This has been RESOLVED.

Solution: NAS connects to C7 router, C7 router connects to Verizon router. The HTTPS ports for myqnapcloud connectivity are forwarded on the Verizon router to the C7 router. The "force HTTPS" option is checked on the NAS.

------------------------------------

SSL cert is installed and "Force secure connection (HTTPS) only" is checked. However, whenever anybody connects to the NAS, they get a splashscreen error saying that the connection is not private, and crosses out the https. You can then proceed to the site unsecure.

Under the mQNAPcloud app, everything has a green check, including Web Connectivity. HTTP and HTTPS all have green checks, indicating they work.

I did change the HTTPS default port to a different port, however that port still works, it just crossed out https.

I am very confused.
Last edited by gamerforhire on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Re: HTTPS does not work

Post by mdhwoods »

are they connecting via your .myqnapcloud name? or are they using your ip? If using your ip you will get this error. Have to use your .myqnapcloud address. Also what ssl cert are you using?
gamerforhire
New here

Post by gamerforhire »

Yes, using the .myqnapcloud address.

Using the paid QNAP cert.
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

if you put it back to the default port does it work as expected? Maybe changing the port messes with the cert? Im ussing ssl, .myqnap and their cert and it works good for me.
gamerforhire
New here

Post by gamerforhire »

Nope, tried that. It was actually doing this before I bought the SSL cert.

Something isn't forwarding right, but I don't know exactly where along the chain there's an error.

I know my setup isn't "normal", but it's not that complicated. I have 2 routers, with the Verizon router serving as a bridge to the internet. The internal TP-Link C7 router handles everything else. Hands out IP, manages the WiFi, etc. Everything connects to the C7 router, then the C7 router connects to the Verizon router.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

gamerforhire wrote:I have 2 routers, with the Verizon router serving as a bridge to the internet. The internal TP-Link C7 router handles everything else. Hands out IP, manages the WiFi, etc. Everything connects to the C7 router, then the C7 router connects to the Verizon router.
The Verizon router is configured to be a bridge, or still a NAT router?
mdhwoods
Know my way around

Post by mdhwoods »

if not in bridge possible double nat issue? someone with more knowledge of that would have to chime in.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Of course it is possible to configure a dual-NAT set-up properly. The outer transfer network requires a manual IP configuration or a DHCP reservation for the inner router WAN/Internet interface. This must be done manually, the automatic router configuration can only deal with the "inner" NAT router. And with two routers, there are two devices adding potentially more issues, like silently accepting UPnP PMP configurations, but overriding because the service port(s) are in use on the device itself.

When walking through a retail shop, it's incredible how many WiFi routers are sold to customers with exiting NAT routers from their ISPs. "Just connect it behind". What does work for surfing the Internet or handling with the email box with the ISP or a global email provider can be a real pain when users want a little bit "more", like each a NAS from the Internet, like establish a VPN connection either as a "dial-up" call home or a point to point solution. In my opinion, deploying multiple NAT routers with consumer/SOHO and even small SMB environments should not be suggested.
gamerforhire
New here

Post by gamerforhire »

To all that responded:

Thanks for the help. The NAS is working correctly now.

However, I'm not sure why. As far as I know, I changed nothing on my end from when I posted this to when my users told me HTTPS was functioning properly. To conclude, this is the current setup:

NAS connects to C7 router, C7 router connects to Verizon router. The HTTPS ports for myqnapcloud connectivity are forwarded on the Verizon router to the C7 router. The "force HTTPS" option is checked on the NAS.

I would also like to note that only one of my users was experiencing this issue. So maybe it was a fluke specifically with them, but they were the first to test, so I assumed something was wrong on my end.

I am going to copy/paste the above into the original comment and leave here, just in case others run into similar issues.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”