DDNS was stopped by my ISP

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
pheniel
New here

DDNS was stopped by my ISP

Post by pheniel »

Hi,

My ISP is giving me a private IP (no more public IP's), so DDNS is not working anymore.

I used to use QNAP VPN server to reach my QNAP from outside and get access to the CAMs, so this is not possible anymore.

I turned my QNAP NAS off due to this issue (as it's not reachable from outside anymore)...

Any solution?

Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Re: DDNS was stopped by my ISP

Post by OneCD »

I'm guessing they're using IPv4? Any chance of switching to IPv6?

Apart from requesting that they open ports for you, the only other thing I can think of is to find a middleman VPN provider. Some sort of cloud VPN service. I don't know of any that can do this, though.

Then your local NAS would VPN to that provider, and from outside your LAN (or ISP's LAN) you'd need to VPN to that same provider. They act as a go-between to join the connections together. :'

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
schumaku
Guru

Re: DDNS was stopped by my ISP

Post by schumaku »

pheniel wrote:My ISP is giving me a private IP (no more public IP's), so DDNS is not working anymore.
Talk to your ISP, explaining that you pay for a full Internet connection, not just a half one. Most ISP will continue to assign a public IP on demand. Don't go into discussions if they try to sell you a business access for much more money. Selling public IP address is depreciated by the Internet address authorities.
pheniel wrote:I used to use QNAP VPN server to reach my QNAP from outside and get access to the CAMs, so this is not possible anymore.
While it does not help for the Surveillance Station, you should be able to reach your NAS by using CloudLink, ie. for data access and the like.
OneCD wrote:Any chance of switching to IPv6?
That's always the ISP brilliant "excuse" ... as long as IPv6 is not commodity all over the world for Internet access, this does not help much. Without blaming you OneCD of course. :ashamed:

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”