Remote performance? Direct access to NAS?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
yuval
New here

Remote performance? Direct access to NAS?

Post by yuval »

Hi all,

I'm able to connect to my NAS remotely using QFile, Qphoto.. apps on my phone, and also via www.myqnapcloud.com, but it is quite slow. I get around ~200KB/s when I try to download files from my NAS. My internet speed at home is symmetrical 100MBPS UL/DL and the QNAP is connected to my router using a 1000Mbps LAN so it should be much faster.

Now when I go to myQNAPcloud app on my NAS (http://ts-251), in the overview page I see a red (X) next to internet connectivity. The Diagnose option didn't do much, it says everything is fine. UPnP Port forwarding is enabled, My DDNS is enabled, CloudLink is on (not that I know what they all mean)..

What do I do? Do I get slow speeds because all traffic goes via QNAP servers? Is it possible to connect directly to the NAS and get faster speeds? Why is there a red (X) next to internet connectivity?

I'll much appreciate any help, Thanks!!
yuval
New here

Re: Remote performance? Direct access to NAS?

Post by yuval »

More details - I found that I can't access my NAS using <name>.myqnapcloud.com. Basically, if I login to myqnapcloud.com > services > file station > more access methods - anything that's not my private IP address (192.168.0.79) fails with ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

Do I need to open ports or configure something else on my router? Isn't UPnP enough? I do see that there are four entries added by QNAP to the IPv4 IGD on my router: all point to local NAS IP with ports 8080, 443, 80, 8081. Also, if there's a way to disable UPnP on my router and still being able to directly connect to the NAS that would be great. Thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

use a vpn to connect to your nas ..dont open ports

vpn can be done via nas ...but is done best in your router or a dedicated vpn appliance
yuval
New here

Post by yuval »

Ok, thanks! I checked and my router doesn't support VPN. So how bad is it to use VPN on the NAS? Is it less safe or just the performance won't be as good? I don't need to connect remotely very often anyway.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”