Qsync / myQNAPcloud URL vs IP address question

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
simonmo
First post

Qsync / myQNAPcloud URL vs IP address question

Post by simonmo »

Hi everyone,
I'm not an expert but was hoping that you could answer a fairly simple question, as I've searched for the answer and can't find anything (mind you, I don't really know how to phrase my search!).
I'd also like to apologise if this is the incorrect subforum - there doesn't appear to be a Qsync subforum.

I've got a little 251 NAS and I've successfully managed to get port forwarding to work, and have set up both OpenVPN and Qsync. Both seem to work great!

During the Qsync set up I noticed that it warns you that the data goes through the Qnap cloud servers and not to put too much data through it. I figured that this was only if you used the myqnapcloud.com web interface. But when I downloaded the Qsync client, the only way I could get it to link was by using the myqnapcloud name, rather than my home external fixed IP address. (the external IP address works fine when I test things like the webserver or openvpn etc though) Does that mean that all of the Qsync traffic is going through the Qnap cloud servers (which I don't want), or is it just using the info stored on the Qnap cloud servers to establish a kinda direct "tunnel"?

And if it's going through the Qnap servers, does that mean that I need to forward a specific port that Qsync uses in order to link it directly by IP address? I'm guessing that this isn't the case, as all of the other ports that have been needed for other services have worked automatically through upnp...?

Hope that makes sense and any ideas welcome. Many thanks for any help!!

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”