Port forwarding on Sonicwall TZ400

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
the2thdoc
New here

Port forwarding on Sonicwall TZ400

Post by the2thdoc »

Anyone able to port forward on Sonicwall TZ400. I've followed the instructions by Sonicwall but I keep getting 'No UnP Play device' message. What am I missing?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Port forwarding on Sonicwall TZ400

Post by dolbyman »

wouldn't that be a question for their forum ?

this is the QNAP NAS forum :?
the2thdoc
New here

Post by the2thdoc »

I just tested the ports...they are open. Sol I don't think it is a Sonicwall issue.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

please describe the issue and what you are trying to do

NAS
NAS model
firmware and built

etc.
the2thdoc
New here

Post by the2thdoc »

At my office I have a QNAP TS-253 sitting behind the sonicwall tz400. I want to backup/sync the office files with a QNAP at home.
I've opened the ports on the sonicwall for RSync (873) and RTRR (8899). Under MyQNAPCloud I have enabled UPnP but keep getting error that 'No UPnP router found on the network.

Ports have been tested and are open. I'm at a loss as where to look first to resolve the issue
the2thdoc
New here

Post by the2thdoc »

My bad...it's the latest firmware
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the2thdoc wrote:My bad...it's the latest firmware
please state version and built (as requested)

if you already manually opened the ports why would you try to run UpNp?
the2thdoc
New here

Post by the2thdoc »

Firmware version 4.3.4.0644
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

the2thdoc wrote:I want to backup/sync the office files with a QNAP at home.
I've opened the ports on the sonicwall for RSync (873) and RTRR (8899).
If you want to backup/sync from Office to Home, it's on the home firewall/router that you need to open a port and enable the corresponding server in the still unknown model of Qnap at home. You should only open a single port for the protocol that you actually want to use not both Rsync and RTRR. Which protocol of Rsync and RTRR that's best depend on the type of data, your Office internet upload speed and your Home download speed.

Please be aware that any open port towards the internet will be target for attacks by people trying to break in so is always a risk and it need to be properly secured and managed. If you control both Office and Home firewalls/routers, I would recommend a site-to-site VPN between them to better protect the traffic. A quick glance on the TZ-400 specifications suggest to me that at least it would probably support a site-to-site VPN but it need to be verified with someone familiar with Sonicwall products.
Under MyQNAPCloud I have enabled UPnP but keep getting error that 'No UPnP router found on the network.
You either open ports manually or use UPnP, not both of them. It's great that the TZ400 doesn't accept your UPnP as it's a security nightmare and is best kept disabled.

Frankly, given the level of your questions and the security implications of doing something wrong when establishing a connection over the internet, my advice would be that you seek technically qualified local assistance.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”