QVPN question

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
senor-senor
New here

QVPN question

Post by senor-senor »

Not sure if this is the right forum for the following question, but I'll give it a try.

I have a QNAP TS-431 in my network and am trying to set up a VPN connection using OpenVPN. I'm running OpenVPN 2.4.7-1607 client on Windows 10.
When I run OpenVPN Client as administrator and try to connect to the OpenVPN QVPN server, my tunnel comes up, I can web into my NAS using the local LAN private IP (172.16.x.x) when the tunnel is up.

The only hole I've opened up on my router firewall was TCP/UDP port 1194.

The problem is I cannot reach (ping/web/ssh) any other node in my LANs private IP space, which is the main goal of turning up the VPN server on my QNAP NAS.

It's as if the NAS is not forwarding all other packets in the 172.16.x.x to the router. The only setting I've seen is to use the router as primary DNS, but this isn't DNS, so I'm wondering if there is a default GW that needs to be set up so the tunnel endpoint (QNAP) forwards all other packets to the router to forward to other nodes in the private subnet?

The only deviation I've made from the autogenerated .ovpn file on the client side is I've included my DDNS information.

Is what I want to do even possible?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Senor senor
senor-senor
New here

Re: QVPN question

Post by senor-senor »

Resolved:

After going over the configs and making small tweaks with no positive results I noticed that my network interface subnet was a /16, and my home network is a /24.

I was not looking down that path because I've had this NAS configured and in service for over a year and never had a connectivity problem even with the misconfigured subnet. I use it for a number of roles, a media server being the major one. I guess since the QNAP now had to assume routing/forwarding responsibilities, and either NAT or route the TAP interface address to the local LAN IP space using the broadcast IP, it failed.

I was able to ping the local LAN IP of the QNAP even with the misconfigured subnet probably because it was considered directly connected (The QNAP routing table knew about it and didn't care about subnet).

Ugh, always the easy stuff right in front of you I guess. :?

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”