cannot access NAS via [myNASname].myqnapcloud.com

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
erinaloha
Starting out

cannot access NAS via [myNASname].myqnapcloud.com

Post by erinaloha »

I am trying to enable 'Force HTTPS' access for the NAS, and in the process of testing have found that I can't access my NAS using the [myNAS].myqnapcloud.com link. For now I have turned of the 'Force HTTPS' option. I can access the NAS using the myqnapcloud.com (without myNASname at the start of the url) and then logging into the NAS, and also using the IP address of the NAS directly. The DDNS is enabled with the correct name. I feel like I'm missing a setting somewhere.

A few other tidbits:
- CloudLink is currently enabled, though ultimately I'd like to turn this off and just access through a pinhole in the router. I do already have two ports forwarded through the router, but when I turn off CloudLink I can't access the NAS through mobile apps even when I tell them to connect via a mode other than CloudLink. With CloudLink disabled I can still access the NAS from a laptop using the IP address and via login through myqnapcloud suggesting the port forwarding is working.
- I have avalid SSL certificate from Let's Encrypt.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: cannot access NAS via [myNASname].myqnapcloud.com

Post by dolbyman »

in light of current security issues(3rd one this year alone I think)... it is better to NOT forward any NAS ports

see here
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=151402
erinaloha
Starting out

Post by erinaloha »

Is CloudLink really more secure than a forwarded port? I'm not stoked on all of my traffic going through the QNAP server.

Any thoughts on why the [myNASname].myqnapcloud.com access isn't working?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I wouldn't use anything else other than a vpn ..setup on a firewall or dedicated appliance (on nas as last resort)

cloudlink is probably be better than direct access but as you said, routing everything via qnap servers could raise privacy and speed concerns

for the problem..is the ddns resolving your ip ?
briareos_kerensky
Starting out

Post by briareos_kerensky »

I'm having the same problem, and it started a few days ago, before accessing the NAS through [name].myqnapcloud.com worked perfectly fine.

I've also noticed that if I use qlink.to/[name] I get an error page saying that there's no device registered with that name, while the MyQNAP Cloud page shows the device connected.
erinaloha
Starting out

Post by erinaloha »

When you say "is the ddns resolving your ip" do you mean, if I type in [myNAS].myqnapcloud.com in a browser it connects to the IP address? No, it doesn't do that, it does nothing and says it can't find the requested page.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

when you ping your DDNS name in a CMD does it reply with the correct IP?

e.g.

Code: Select all

ping [myNAS].myqnapcloud.com

Pinging [myNAS].myqnapcloud.com [12.34.56.78] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 12.34.56.78: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=88
[..]
erinaloha
Starting out

Post by erinaloha »

Yes, when I ping with the DDNS name it does respond with the corresponding DDNS IP (the WAN IP).

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”