Sync Two Qnaps using myQNAP cloud?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
thomas.dahl
Starting out

Sync Two Qnaps using myQNAP cloud?

Post by thomas.dahl » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:53 pm

Hallo everyone,

Is there a way to use QNAPcloud to syncronise two QNAPs that are both present on my QNAPcloud account? Other than having to set up with much more complex settings using other apps.

Seems to me that QNAOcloud knows everything it needs to become the starting point for setting up a syncronisation.

Just a thought..

Thomas

thomas.dahl
Starting out

Re: Sync Two Qnaps using myQNAP cloud?

Post by thomas.dahl » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:10 am

I want to achieve the same thing as the OP and have been reading the forum to find a solution. There is such a mishmash of solutions and advice that i am very confused how to achieve this. Using RTRR is suggested, but I do not have static IP addresses at either end and all the instructions seem to conveniently jump over this issue.

What is the best way to synchronise two qnaps over the internet? Myqnapcloud does indeed seem to have all the required information, but I cannot find a way to actually get it done..

I may be a newby, but it cannot be so hard to achieve what should be a straight forward and common requirement.

Help please...

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:03 am

site2site vpn via capabale routers...then it's basically like a network sync

mitscha
New here

Post by mitscha » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:18 am

THX to dolbyman for the reply.. googling it, I find out that this is for Cisco routers running IOS.
Being a newbie, ill beg for a more in- depth answer, with ordinary routers.
My setup is two NAS, at each their locations, both behind CGNAT because of 4G-routers, that I need to keep sync'ed.
I hope for an answer.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:29 am

has nothing to do with cisco .. and can be done with many consumer grade routers...

cgnat will make it much more complicated ..you might have to look into renting an access server as a common target

openvpn offers those servers with up to two connections for free

https://openvpn.net/access-server/

mitscha
New here

Post by mitscha » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:24 am

Thank you again, dolbyman.
I have been searching for over a year, and still haven't found a solution.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3+ running at a friend's, with direct connection to the internet, and tried setting up reverse ssh, but never got it to work.
I can connect to both NAS via myqnapcloud, from out on the net, but when I try to set up sync, it fails logging in to the remote NAS, when trying tbe QID option, and doesn't give a reason in any log-files.
Could you point me to info on how to set it up, please?

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:31 am

to set what up ? .. the cloud based OpenVPN access server ?

Setup an account .. as long as you do not exceed two connections, it is free

https://openvpn.net/access-server/pricing/

mitscha
New here

Post by mitscha » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:27 pm

I would like to use the myqnapcloud-way...

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:56 pm

There is a way to tunnel all traffic via qnap servers (cloud link) .. but it is slow and you basically have to trust qnap not to eavesdrop

I dont have any setup details..as I stay far away from any qnap cloud stuff..never used it

mitscha
New here

Post by mitscha » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Ok , I can well understand you, but after trying so much, I just need to be able to sync now😊
Thx for your time, and stay safe & healthy...

thomas.dahl
Starting out

Post by thomas.dahl » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Thanks everyone for chipping in, but nobody has really posted a solution...

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:42 pm

if you dont "suffer" from cgnat..how is a site2site vpn not a solution?

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 pm

thomas.dahl wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:35 pm
Thanks everyone for chipping in, but nobody has really posted a solution...
Hi Thomas,

I believe I made a setup what you are looking for with the default QNAP Apps. I started with sync between 2 NAS and now I have 3. One is located in my home and the other two are located in the homes of my brothers.
Each nas is accessible via its xxx.myqnapcloud.com address on the internet. On each NAS I have HBS 3 Hybrid Backup Sync app installed.
For this explanation I call the devices nas1, nas2 and nas3. Assume nas1 is my nas.
I have several different sync's setup:
-nas1 can backup his Homes+Multimedia shares to nas2
-nas2 can backup his Homes+Multimedia shares to nas1
-nas3 can backup his Homes+Multimedia shares to nas1
-nas1 copies a Movies share to nas2+nas3 (only nas1 controls the content)
-FamilyPhoto's share is synchronized over all nas's (each nas can add content).
-Music share is synchronized over all nas's (each nas can add content)
Synchronization over all nas's I implemented as copying from nas1 to nas2 on Monday and nas2 to nas 3 on Tuesday and nas3 to nas 1 on Wednesday. You can also take a few hours difference between the copy actions.
One side effect of this implementation is, it somewhat harder to delete something from a folder, because the info is available on all 3 NAS's and when you only delete on 1 NAS, it wil come back from the others.

As you describe you only want to sync 2 QNAPS. I assume there are 2 NAS at 2 locations and both users want to add documents to OURSHARE. I assume this share already exists on both NAS's. I also assume you have the admin password for both devices and both locations have a router which is UPnP compatible. If UPnP is not possible, you have to manually setup port-forwarding on each router.
- On nas1 + nas2 open HBS 3 (you can do this remotely via nasX.myqnapcloud.com)
- Under Services Set Rsync Server Enabled and mark Access with local QTS accounts
- On nas1 + nas2 open myQNAPcloud and check under Auto Router Configuration if Remote Replication (Rsync) is enabled and OK (default port 873).
- Go back to HBS 3 on nas1
- Under Storage Spaces select Create than Remote Rsync Server
- In the dialog setup the Name to nas2
- Host name: nas2.myqnapcloud.com
- change server type if required
- NAS account as Account Type and next provide the admin credentials
- Scroll down and select Test Connection and Speed Test, if all ok, then Create
- Under Sync you Create a One-way Sync Job
- A complete dialog will show;
- Select the created Remote Rsync Server nas2.myqnapcloud.com followed by Select button
- Provide a Job Name e.g. OURSHARE_to_nas2
- Use the + left to select OURSHARE on your Local NAS and the + right to select OURSHARE on the remote NAS nas2 followed by Next
- In this step you should setup the Scheduler, use the + to add it (select something you want, every hour/day/week/month), do not forget OK and than Next
- Change the Rules if you think the defaults are not OK (Think carefully about Remove additional files in destination folder)
- Click Next followed by Create
- You job is now visible in the list
- You do the similar actions on nas2, but then you create nas1 and setup a different time or day in your scheduler.
- If there is a lot of data already in OURSHARE, maybe you want to manually start the Sync job. This can be done under Jobs in HBS 3. Select your OURSHARE_to_nas2 and press Start.

I guess there are numerous other ways of accomplishing the same, but this has been working fine for me for years now!
Is it the safest way of doing it, I do not know, I guess not. Do make sure your admin password is strong! I do get a lots of people trying to access my NAS from the internet.

In the steps above a zillion things can go wrong and it did not work immediately for me as wel. Currently I have problems again with the name (e.g. nas1.myqnapcloud.com) not being resolved on some of the NAS's. For the time being I use the external IP-address. Although the address is not fixed, it also does not change that often.

Good Luck!

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:20 pm

Christiaan5 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:59 pm
Is it the safest way of doing it, I do not know, I guess not. Do make sure your admin password is strong! I do get a lots of people trying to access my NAS from the internet.
apparently you expose more than just your NAS rsync port .. do NOT expose your NAS login or other station .. exploits do not care about password strength .. hence .. exploits

Also not disabling uPnP is another nono ..

So you either have been very lucky so far, or already have been hacked without knowlage (cryptominers, etc)

Christiaan5
Starting out

Post by Christiaan5 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:37 am

Hi dolbyman,

Indeed I have ports for Rsync + RTRR, NAS Web and Secure NAS Web forwarded to my NAS.
It seems you know this material better then me,
can you tell me how I should configure it to be more safe? And still have access myself!

When I access via xxx.myqnapcloud.com I always access with Secure login. Because of this, I did wonder if I could disable the NAS Web access port...do you know this?
And yes I do use the default ports, but no one tells me what other port would be better...what do you suggest?

You write "do NOT expose your NAS login or other station", what do you mean with this? Opening the ports?

You write "exploits do not care about password strength", I would think a password of 3 characters is easier to hack then 30 characters. They will need to try many times and then my IP Access Protection blocks the IP for a day, so they get 365x5 attempts in a year, but I will notice this earlier and I will block the IP forever. Probably there are tricks so one server can access via multiple IP-addresses, but my data has no value to anyone else, so why would they spend time on this?

Sure I understand that UPnP is less safe, but first they need to get into my LAN to change/use it right? In my situation they would first need to hack into the NAS and next they could probably change the port-forwarding in my router. If they hack into my NAS they already have all information, so if they open more ports afterwards will not make any difference for me anymore.

You also write "So you either have been very lucky so far, or already have been hacked without knowlage (cryptominers, etc)". I guess you are a very knowledgeable person when it comes to network security, but 80% of the people I know, know even 25% of what I understand about network security. Why do they not get hacked all the time? I believe because of your knowledge you believe the internet is an unsafe place in general and yet almost everybody is connected to it the whole day long.

If you have great idea's how we can improve safety of our NAS, please share. Please do be practical, because I am not a computer whizzkids. I also try to understand what you wrote about site2site VPN, but I also simply do not understand how to create this.

Any input is always welcome.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”