remote access to myqnapcloud

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
7ToesProductions
New here

remote access to myqnapcloud

Post by 7ToesProductions »

I have a new employee that is not able to access my TS-451+ NAS remotly. One of my remote workers is still able to access my NAS using the Nameofserver.myqnapcloud.com. They are both accessing the same way. I tried going in through the internet, and not on my internal network and I too am having issues. The only changes I have made were removing a terminated employee, and also updating Firmware to 4.5.1.1461. I was having the same issue on the last firmware update as well. Suggestions?
Bill E.
Publisher/Film Producer
7 Toes Productions, LLC
QNAP TS-451+ NAS
2010 iMAC
dolbyman
Guru

Re: remote access to myqnapcloud

Post by dolbyman »

Make sure you stop direct WAN access immediately and switch to VPN for all your employees.

We had 2 threads just yesterday alone with malware infections .. so all direct exposure of the NAS needs to be stopped.
7ToesProductions
New here

Would this prevent an employee from accessing remotely? I've been investigating VPN's not only for my business but personally. I will step this up now. Thanks.
Bill E.
Publisher/Film Producer
7 Toes Productions, LLC
QNAP TS-451+ NAS
2010 iMAC
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

4.5.1 is currently VERY buggy, so that could be your issue.

Due to the lack of a detailed error description, it's hard to say (can't access does not describe what happens when he tries)

Make sure you have you NAS backed up and got offline copies too, you might find all your files held for ransom
https://www.zdnet.com/article/qnap-tell ... ansomware/
7ToesProductions
New here

They receive the following messages in the following

Chrome: "xxxxx.myqnapcloud.com took too long to respond"
Safari: "Safari cannot open the page xxxxx.myqnapcloud.com because the server where this page is located isn't responding"
Foxfire: "The server at xxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com is taking too long to respond"

I also get the same message when trying to remotely login with the same browsers. However, I have another remote employee that has no issues accessing, but he's been accessing the network for a couple of years (before any firmware upgrades).

Could this be a firewall issue? If so, what's the best way to go around this?
Bill E.
Publisher/Film Producer
7 Toes Productions, LLC
QNAP TS-451+ NAS
2010 iMAC
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

7ToesProductions wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:15 am Could this be a firewall issue?
Possibly. Check the access controls on your Internet gateway, and on the NAS. You may have restricted access to specific ranges of IP addresses a few years ago for your employees and forgot about it. On the NAS: Control Panel > Security > Allow/Deny List.

There is also an Access Control configuration in the myQNAPcloud app, but I think it applies only if you go through the myQNAPcloud portal, not if you connect directly with the name-of-server.myqnapcloud.com hostname. I don't use that feature so can't elaborate further.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”