How to log in remotely if my NAS is rebooted and all my drives encrypted?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Ribtin
New here

How to log in remotely if my NAS is rebooted and all my drives encrypted?

Post by Ribtin »

I'm pretty new to NAS'es but trying to figure out how to do this.

I've got a TS-431P with three HDDs, all of which are encrypted. It works well enough when I have it connected to my local network, but my plan is to set it up at a different location and I'm trying to figure out how I can log in to it remotely...?

As far as I can see, several people recommend using MyQnapCloud, and I have installed this and set it up to work. However, I can't understand how I will be able to log in to the NAS, if for example there is a power loss and the device is rebooted at the remote place where I cannot physically get to it?

As the drives are all encrypted, I will need to log in and unlock them... but if the MyQnapCloud is not starting because it's on the encrypted drive.... then how can I access it?

There must be something I'm missing here?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: How to log in remotely if my NAS is rebooted and all my drives encrypted?

Post by dolbyman »

Remote access should only be done via vpn..otherwise you will find that your data was encrypted for ransom (hacked) on top

when vpn access is established (vpn server on router) then you can login from anywhere in the world and unlock your volumes via gui

apps are installed on hidden non encrypted partitions of all member drives of the first volume
Ribtin
New here

Re: How to log in remotely if my NAS is rebooted and all my drives encrypted?

Post by Ribtin »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:55 am apps are installed on hidden non encrypted partitions of all member drives of the first volume

Hmmm.... this seems to not be the case here. Maybe I have done something wrong in the configuration... because only the standard pre-installed apps are working before I unlock the encrypted HDD. Whatever additional apps I chose to install, like MyQnapCloud, Plex, etc.. are "not found" by the system before I unlock.

Even trying to install the QVPN app without unlocking the HDD gives me an error message saying "There is no available volume", so that won't work either.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”