Clarification Of Remote Access Methods

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
AgileTS
New here

Clarification Of Remote Access Methods

Post by AgileTS »

Hi Team,

Following last months security vulnerabilities and subsequent firmware and application patches, I just want to clarify the remote access methods available in QTS.

My understanding is that there are 3 basic methods that QNAP provides:
  • Incoming connections - via a registered domain name pointing back to the NAS gateway;
  • Outgoing connections - via the QNAP public proxy (myqnapcloud.com);
  • QVPN - A remote-user VPN, with several protocol options.

Where QNAP have made this confusing, is in their MyQNAPCloud app, which lists several connection functions but then does not group those functions logically. As I see it,
  • the "Auto Router Configuration", the "MyDDNS" and the "SSL Certificate" functions are all associated with incoming connections, via port-forwarding at the local gateway.
  • Alternatively, the "Cloud Portal", "Cloudlink" and "Access Control" functions are all associated with outgoing connections to the public proxy service.
Am I correct in assuming that all "incoming" functions can be disabled and, as long as the "outgoing" connection functions are enabled, remote access will still work? Specifically, I'm interested in the Qsync, Qmanager and Qfile apps.

Also, I realise that a VPN offers the best security for remote connections but when you have end-users who require mobility and who already use VPNs for other reasons, it becomes a complex task to have a dedicated VPN just for file sync and to ensure stability of the connection.

Thanks,
spile
Been there, done that

Re: Clarification Of Remote Access Methods

Post by spile »

AgileTS wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:26 am
Also, I realise that a VPN offers the best security for remote connections but when you have end-users who require mobility and who already use VPNs for other reasons, it becomes a complex task to have a dedicated VPN just for file sync and to ensure stability of the connection.
I get that setting up a VPN server might take a little work compared with using a built in option like QVPN but...
Once it is set up and running it it an absolute breeze to use. A single switch on the Wireguard app and I have secure access.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”