OpenVPN Cloud to NAS

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
nasuser1985
New here

OpenVPN Cloud to NAS

Post by nasuser1985 »

Hi All,

I am trying to gain access to a NAS (I have on a home network/want access to a VM running on it and the web page for configuring it) from another PC I have on another home network. What I have done is got the QNAP connected to openVPN cloud as a host and the PC to the same openVPN cloud as a host too. Then on the PC I type in the IP of the NAS that the openVPN cloud has given it into a wen browser and I cannot get the QTS web page to load. (Tried a lot of IP's now).

Figured doing this is probably safer than exposing ports on the QNAP/trying to setup a VPN server.

Have I fundamentally miss-understood how I need to set things up to achieve what I am after? Sorry if this is a noob question, this is a bit of a self taught hobby.

Thanks in advanced!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: OpenVPN Cloud to NAS

Post by dolbyman »

can you doodle a quick network diagram?..(please include subnets) ...the network setup is unclear from the description
nasuser1985
New here

Post by nasuser1985 »

Sorry for the late reply, it started working, then stopped working and then started working again with me changing nothing. After a lot of messing around/pulling hair out I got the QNAP to email me errors etc and it was being disconnected from the internet randomly. Turns out the router that it is connected to is 5 years old (probably got dry electrolytic caps or some werid intermittent fault) so my guess is that has what has been causing me all the headaches. Probably time to get a decent router like a pfsense device and run the VPN server on that.

Anyhow the network diagram is attached, hopefully drawn it ok? I assume you omit your internal VPN ip's for safety sake?

Out of interest/learning is it possible to get the VPN client connection on the NAS to bridge/port forward to the VM running on the NAS?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

With this setup you basically run the VPN server on a 3rd part/location.

When this is correctly setup, the VPN bridge network should route the traffic between these two networks without issue

Can you ping the NAS

192.168.1.y (sadly censored)

from the PC

192.168.2.x (sadly censored)

?
nasuser1985
New here

Post by nasuser1985 »

Yeah I figured baby steps first and let OpenVPN handle the server side, while I get my head around things.

Out of interest do I need to censor any of those IP's, figured with my level of knowledge best to censor for now?

So I can ping the Nas and access the web page for it on 100...34, but not on 192.168.1.y from the PC. So I have done something wrong somewhere I guess.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the class C 192.168.etc is not unique and millions of networks have the same range .. so no need to censor

The bridge network of the VPN, not sure, could be public, probably private, no need to post it though as you want to reach the endpoint class C networks and not that bridge network anyways
nasuser1985
New here

Post by nasuser1985 »

Right thanks, I think I need to go and learn more about networks/IP's too, get the feeling I have just enough info to be dangerous.......

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”