Pros & Cons of myQNAPcloud service?

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
AlisterFiend
Starting out

Pros & Cons of myQNAPcloud service?

Post by AlisterFiend »

Do I need this service? If so, why?
Why should I avoid this service?

Want to better understand this before I commit.
QNAP TS-664
(6) 16TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro
(2) NVMe M.2 Samsung 980 1TB RAID 1
4GB DDR4
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Pros & Cons of myQNAPcloud service?

Post by dolbyman »

what service do you mean

- DDNS service to direct expose your NAS (bad idea..see all the malware victims)
- CloudLink Relay Service?
AlisterFiend
Starting out

Post by AlisterFiend »

Specifically is there any compelling reason to run myQNAPCloud service?
QNAP TS-664
4GB DDR4
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Depends on what you are trying to do ..

Running QNAPcloud "because they could" is probably a good percentage of the 2000 people that have paid the deadbolt ransom by now.
AlisterFiend
Starting out

Post by AlisterFiend »

Fair enough. Since I am more concerned with Plex accessibility than anything else I see no reason to add another layer of failure.
QNAP TS-664
4GB DDR4
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

AlisterFiend wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:48 am Specifically is there any compelling reason to run myQNAPCloud service?
i also ponder this question myself, and even pose it for others why they think need this service enabled. what is it the user requires to be running it? i suspect people are just enabling stuff without understanding what it is, nor whether they need it or not.

there is the qnap dyndns using their domain address.

It also acts as some sort of gate where you can limit accessibility to your qnap. For example, when i shared access to another qnap user, i can limit access to a specific qnap user. but in order to do this, you'd be exposing your nas online for this sort of sharing afaik (i only did this few times for short periods to test only that this feature works. not something i do/use for day to day)

there is also some usage by cloudlink if not mistaken? (another thing i don't use)
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial ... -cloudlink
https://www.qnap.com/en/news/2020/qnaps ... cloud-link

so thats my impression for the functionality for the myqnapcloud.

if all you need is to access the qnap, you don't need to be running myqnapcloud. just setup the vpn server on router (or use a raspberry pi) then access your network remotely via vpn.

At this point you have access to your nas web UI, and shares. myqnapcloud is not needed to achieve this.

even qnap apps like qfile will also be able to connect/usable just fine.

that said there seems to be a CVE here, doesn't seem to be that many issues listed
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/5432 ... r_id=10080

CON:
that said i think vpn server can achieve most of what the user requires without the need for myqnapcloud :'

if people pay attention and see here, they will realize why it's a bad idea to expose nas online. things like deadbolt just keep popping up too often each year to the point you're safer not exposing your nas online
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-adviso ... ry_details
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
AlisterFiend
Starting out

Post by AlisterFiend »

Odd, my ReadyNAS was online for 11 years and I never saw an issue of hijacking or even infections. Must be something different about how the services run or is this specific to the myQNAPCloud service? I will expose only what needs to be exposed and not worry about the cloud part.

Thank you all for the input.
QNAP TS-664
4GB DDR4
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Market share could be different (less lucrative target) , maybe readyNAS handles their security better ? I don't know

There is chain-smokers that live to be 100, but it probably is not the best idea for your health
AlisterFiend
Starting out

Post by AlisterFiend »

LOL!!! True enough. But then I only put out those things I required not all the bells and whistles. Netgear had a similar service to QNAP's cloud as well. Being new here it just seems like it is pushed as required till I read further.

Thank you, you have been a tremendous help.
QNAP TS-664
4GB DDR4
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

seems they updated a video to explain what myqnapcloud is for
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMV9aoQqsiI

after looking at it, i still stand by what i said :' basically for remote, they said for vpn rely on myqnapcloud. but why not just setup your own vpn server (either wireguard or openvpn) on something like pfsense? that would be much better and reliable wouldn't it? It may not be as simple as a few clicks to setup, but it's the golden standard for a reason.

it's good in their video they recommend disable upnp on router. but.... can you also by default disable upnp on qnap nas as well? (JUST in case some newb had their upnp enabled on router without realizing it)
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”