Issues with remote connection through WebDAV from my mac

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
giovacip
New here

Issues with remote connection through WebDAV from my mac

Post by giovacip »

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and just got my first NAS (TVS-h874) less than a month ago.

I'm having trouble setting up remote access to my NAS through WebDAV. I followed the instructions step by step by watching this Youtube Video by QNAP UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHGPgSXNOcM

When connecting remotely to the server from my mac I keep on getting the following message. "There was a problem connecting to the server. This file server will not allow any additional users to log on. Try to connect again later".

Not sure if there's something I need to change on my QNAP NAS or on my router.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Gianni
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: Issues with remote connection through WebDAV from my mac

Post by FSC830 »

Stop this ASAP!!!
Do NOT use myqnapcloud!!!

See the links in my signature what happens when exposing any service to web!
If access from remote is needed, use VPN (you own VPN server running at your router, not at NAS and not any paid VPN service!

Only VPN provides you the most secure option to access your data from remote.

Regards
giovacip
New here

Post by giovacip »

Thanks for your advice. I’m pretty new to this. Do you have any recommendations on how to set up the VPN? Any tutorials available out there specifically for Qnap? And would this allow me to mount volumes on my Mac desktop remotely?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

There are tons of manuals in the internet for setting up a VPN.
It also depends if your router allows to setup a VPN server. As a workaround you can setup the VPN at a dedicated small host, a raspberry Pi is a good choice. Unfortunately the Pi is rather expensive at current point of time.
A small PC with two NICs can also do the job.

If you have a VPN session established you can access all your data as being at home. This is the advantage of VPN. Use at leaesd IPsec v2 or Wiregurad as protocol.
Its no rocket science, but somehow more sophisticated than these myqnapcloud stuff. At the other site its much more secure, in fact: it is the most secure access you can do when not in your LAN at home.

BTW: QVPN, the solution from QNAP was also affected in the past as an intrusion vector for malware, so avoid using this. Its fixed in the current version, but QNAP shows so often in past that security is not their business!
In the last years there have been multiple waves of malware/ransomware attacking (successfully) QNAP devices.

So think twice before exposing any service/port to internet.
As a first step disable UPnP at NAS and Router and remove any port forwardings in router to NAS (myqnapcloud setup enables/creates this during setup process).

Regards

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”