MacOs Back up USB Work Drive

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
Brandon Howlett
New here

MacOs Back up USB Work Drive

Post by Brandon Howlett »

Hi and thank you for the help. I am a mobile audio engineer. I commonly take my USB drive to work out of outside facilities. I want to back up my USB drive when I return to my facility and plug in the drive. I need to mirror the drive to a share on my qnap. I'm currently using qsync. The issue is, when I change something on the USB drive, qsync will write the old date back to my USB drive. Simply renaming a file will cause qsync to write the file with the old name to my USB drive and then I have 2 files that are the same with 2 different names. I really simply need my USB drive mirrored to a share. So, if I change the name or location of a file on my USB drive, that change is reflected on my share. What's the best strategy to accomplish this?

Also, I can't plug in the USB to my qnap. The HFS+ driver or some other process seems to corrupt the drive. Making MacOs see errors on the drive or make the drive unmountable. Is this a common issue and how can I fix that?
Thank again for the sage advice!
Brandon
dolbyman
Guru

Re: MacOs Back up USB Work Drive

Post by dolbyman »

QNAP model and firmware are sadly unknown, but you should open a ticket with QNAP if the MacOS storage driver corrupts your drive, when using HBS OTS
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi Brandon -
I am a little confused, as I just did this for someone. #1 - stop using QSync. Use Hybrid Backup Sync, and do a sync job.

Step 1) - format the drive on the Mac HFS+
Step 2) - put some media on the drive
Step 3) - plug it into the USB port of your QNAP
in less than 1 minute, the drive will appear in the QNAP and ask how you want to open it on the QNAP - I select HBS3
Step 4) - open Hybrid Backup sync and do a sync job from your drive to a QNAP shared folder - or a QNAP shared folder to your drive.

You can now plug the drive in and out of your QNAP, and your Mac, and everything will just work, without creating any errors.

ps - you are not allowed to respond with "but why can't I use QSync".

Bob
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Brandon Howlett
New here

Post by Brandon Howlett »

HI BOB,
I can't seem to get the HFS+ formatted drive (formatted on the qnap) to mount on a mac. When I format the drive on a mac, it has errors after I mount it on the qnap. Yes I'm ready to stop using Qsync. No problem there. Your workflow would be perfect if the qnap would work with HFS+ drive correctly. FYI I'm using the QTS_H1288x with 8TB of Seagate Exos Drives.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”