VPN IP

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
schumaku
Guru

Re: VPN IP

Post by schumaku »

Nothing stops you to implement your own DNS sever...
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

My concern is not dns at all, a client wishing to have a small box, here a qnap on his Lan with vpn access as he saw this advertise feature on qnap site and he bought the box, mac based company with some rude guidelines as to not install any third party software. mac have pptp and l2tp client included. theyv got their own dns already the issue is that on pptp a pointer in the dns server pointing to the nas is useless as the vpn ip when nas is the vpn server is no more identical actually its not my own dns server that i need but a vpn server.
Almost all vpn server allow such config except qnap.

then also come the qnapcloud issue, ip not being updated a advertise.

I personally always encourage my clients to acquire a qnap box when it comes to NAS, but qnap always take too long to remediate to issues, almost most of old clients having filled up qnap boxes are going for DAS and os x server instead of qnap NAS.

I personally having an issue home with my qnap box, just downloaded the latest qget which no more work, now will be login on the web interface and add the files instead of just doubleclicking on a file for it to download with qget, this until qnap find a solution.

Not saying other NAS or DAS options are perfect but being with a supplier you know thigs are not good, client just preffer look elsewhere.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

VincentM wrote:My concern is not dns at all, a client wishing to have a small box, here a qnap on his Lan with vpn access as he saw this advertise feature on qnap site and he bought the box, mac based company with some rude guidelines as to not install any third party software.
Typical misunderstanding -
VincentM wrote:mac have pptp and l2tp client included. theyv got their own dns already the issue is that on pptp a pointer in the dns server pointing to the nas is useless as the vpn ip when nas is the vpn server is no more identical actually its not my own dns server that i need but a vpn server.
Almost all vpn server allow such config except qnap.
Please rephrase in case I understand you wrong: Of course QNAP PPTP VPN server config allows to define a "VPN-"DNS server:
QTS4_PPTP_VPN_custom_DNS.PNG
What unfortunately can't be done is using a split DNS based on the DNS query IP - because of all traffc to the LAN is many-to-one NATed to the LAN IP.
VincentM wrote:then also come the qnapcloud issue, ip not being updated a advertise.
Answered the questions in the dedicated post already? -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 38#p381438
VincentM wrote:I personally always encourage my clients to acquire a qnap box when it comes to NAS, but qnap always take too long to remediate to issues, almost most of old clients having filled up qnap boxes are going for DAS and os x server instead of qnap NAS.
Several issues caused by Apple application not being NAS friendly at all ... think basics like the complete iLife series. Apple does protectionism, prohibits multi-vendor interoperability in many aspects.
VincentM wrote:I personally having an issue home with my qnap box, just downloaded the latest qget which no more work, now will be login on the web interface and add the files instead of just doubleclicking on a file for it to download with qget, this until qnap find a solution.
Why QANP? Your Qget installation is borked -> http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... 67#p381646
VincentM wrote:Not saying other NAS or DAS options are perfect but being with a supplier you know thigs are not good, client just preffer look elsewhere.
True. Things can be done better everywhere. However, if you expect the community to assist with your customer issues, please follow-up instead of posting multi-topic rants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

You get me wrong, explaining here in txt will be too long,
thers an explaination online but i no more sees the article, dated back to 2005 or 6 i think on afp548.com related to dns config.

for my issue there are 2 possible solutions: either service binding for the vpn service or having pptp vpn on while keeping NAS ip same for both LAN and VPN users but neither are possible as of now. QNAP does offer openvpn but for my situation this is neither a solution.

For the mac users, a carddav & caldav server would have helpd a lot in keeping the old qnap clients.

Things keep changing everyday, so i keep fingers crossed.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

VincentM wrote:You get me wrong, explaining here in txt will be too long, thers an explaination online but i no more sees the article, dated back to 2005 or 6 i think on afp548.com related to dns config.
In what context? No QNAP VPN back then. You can't just deploy a "solution" as it will most likely not match to what is available.
VincentM wrote:for my issue there are 2 possible solutions:
You still have no explained why. Any sorry, I think you are badly wrong: If the NAS would announce itself by Bonjour to the VPN ... no rocket science required. If you add the NAS VPN IP to the clients as i.e. 10.0.0.1 NAS-VPN on each client, they can reach it as smb://NAS-VPN/ or afp://NAS-VPN/
VincentM wrote:either service binding for the vpn service
What for? VPN _is_ already associated to one interface as configured. A service not offering a TCP or UDP service can simply not be bound to a network interface: The VPN are two dedicated network interfaces, regardless.
VincentM wrote:having pptp vpn on while keeping NAS ip same for both LAN and VPN users but neither are possible as of now.
I don't understand users can afford Mac and NAS - but no VPN router. VPN is L3 networking - not storage, not application.
VincentM wrote:QNAP does offer openvpn but for my situation this is neither a solution.
OpenVPN comes with the exact same implementation depth.
VincentM wrote:For the mac users, a carddav & caldav server would have helpd a lot in keeping the old qnap clients.
What about SabreDAV plus some time to implement?

(edit: fixed BB code)
Last edited by schumaku on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VincentM
Easy as a breeze

Post by VincentM »

Yes you are right, the nas announce itself by bonjour to the vpn and i add the nas vpn add in the dns server for the client and voilà. :?

you are a genius, thanks a lot man.

Something else i would like to say; if having a dns server already why should i interfere on each an all the client machine individually.

sure you cannot understand user can afford mac, servers and nasses but cannot afford a vpn server, its just because this service is already advertise as being possible by qnap, and sure it is possible but just not a way it fits in the actual infrastructure.

yes sabredav gud, or may be radicale too

sarcastic youd say but its ok, ill find my way.

thx

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”