HS-210 - Router port forward problems

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
gsettanni
First post

HS-210 - Router port forward problems

Post by gsettanni »

Hi, I'm new to this community, so please forgive me for possible silly questions!

I've just bought an HS-210, but when I tryed to configure Mycloud, I discovered my router was not able to run UPnP standard for the automatic configuration.

Considering what above, I tryed to configure a VPN.

In doing so, I incurred in some difficulties; first I don't know how to fill in the field "Pool IP client VPN" in the PPTP configuration mask and the field "Manually insert server DNS"

All of your advices will be welcome.

Best

Giuseppe
pwilson
Guru

Re: HS-210 - Router port forward problems

Post by pwilson »

gsettanni wrote:Hi, I'm new to this community, so please forgive me for possible silly questions!

I've just bought an HS-210, but when I tryed to configure Mycloud, I discovered my router was not able to run UPnP standard for the automatic configuration.

Considering what above, I tryed to configure a VPN.

In doing so, I incurred in some difficulties; first I don't know how to fill in the field "Pool IP client VPN" in the PPTP configuration mask and the field "Manually insert server DNS"
Giuseppe:

Go with the default settings for PPTP as provided in the NAS Admin WebUI, they'll work without any modification. Ensure that your unidentified Router supports GRE protocol. (If it doesn't support GRE then PPTP can never work). Assuming that your Router does support GRE, then all you need to do is Port-Forward 1723/TCP from the WAN side of your Router to the IP address of your NAS.

You might be better off to use OpenVPN instead. It has no GRE requirement, and it operates on Port 1194/UDP. PPTP is insecure, and easily cracked.

I have deliberately disabled UPnP on my Router, (even though my Router does support it), and I have simply setup manual Port-Forwards for all my NAS services. Everything here works. Don't get confused by the requirements. PPTP uses 1723/TCP, while OpenVPN uses 1194/UDP.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”