Static IP Requirements

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
it@adrcanada.ca
New here

Static IP Requirements

Post by it@adrcanada.ca » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:19 am

Is it advisable to have a static external WAN IP when using the Qnap Cloud and VPN services?
Currently we have a dynamic IP with our ISP.

Thank you!

pwilson
Guru

Re: Static IP Requirements

Post by pwilson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 am

it@adrcanada.ca wrote:Is it advisable to have a static external WAN IP when using the Qnap Cloud and VPN services?
Currently we have a dynamic IP with our ISP.

Thank you!

The MyQNAPCloud Service is "designed" for Dynamic IP addresses. Read the fine manual.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

it@adrcanada.ca
New here

Post by it@adrcanada.ca » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 am

I did read it Patrick, I am not brilliant and fully understand everything I read, luckily for people like me we have people like yourself to clarify what we don't understand well.
I'll certainly return to this helpful forum whenever I don't understand anything else in the 313 page manual.

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 am

it@adrcanada.ca wrote:I did read it Patrick, I am not brilliant and fully understand everything I read, luckily for people like me we have people like yourself to clarify what we don't understand well.
I'll certainly return to this helpful forum whenever I don't understand anything else in the 313 page manual.

Sorry I offended. Fact remains, it is "designed" for Dynamic IP addresses. If you already have a Public/Static IP address for your NAS, and hopefully a FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name) for it, you don't actually need to use the myQNAPcloud Service feature at all.

If you control the DNS "Name Space" for "adrcanada.ca", you should be able to create an "A" record for your NAS if you want it exposed to the Internet. Perhaps you could create a DNS "A" (Address record) for "nas.adrcanada.ca" with your registered DNS Nameservers that points to the Static IP address of your NAS device.

Minor research for your domain "adrcanada.ca" provided the following output:

Code: Select all

nslookup
> set q=any
> adrcanada.ca
Server:      10.77.13.1
Address:   10.77.13.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   adrcanada.ca
Address: 67.192.40.18
adrcanada.ca   nameserver = ns52.1and1.com.
adrcanada.ca   nameserver = ns51.1and1.com.

Your DNS Nameservers for "adrcanada.ca" are apparently "ns51.1and1.com" and "ns51.1and1.com". Simply modify your DNS data on these Name Servers to provide the "A" record recommended above.

(Hopefully you'll find this information more useful than my last response to this thread).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:23 pm

No clue if 1&1 does support dynamic DNS updates for dynamically assigned IP addresses within the same domain.

Sophisticated DNS providers like he.net or dyn.com permit dynamic updates of some A addresses. As the NAS (and many routers) support Dyn - older name dyndns.org - I'm using Dyn with a basic DNS service.

Wild guess, 1&1 does permit using 3rd party DNS services. Doing so requires some interaction with 1&1 to keep the DNS entries for mail (i.e MX records), web and similar services, of course.

So either go for a static IP and make a static A record on the 1&1 DNS, or consider to outsource/split off the DNS service.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”