Question about myQNAPcloud on new ISP (port forwarding)

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
kate
New here

Question about myQNAPcloud on new ISP (port forwarding)

Post by kate » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi guys,

I apologise for my ignorance on the subject, but I was considering switching to a new ISP when I read the following on their help page:

Due to the world wide exhaustion of IPv4 addresses [we have] implemented a technology called “Carrier Grade Network Address Translation” (CGNAT).

While this technology is totally transparent to 99% of people, it does mean if you want to run a server at home and use a technique known as “Port Forwarding” or “Pin-holing” these services will not work. Most traditional reasons to use port forwarding (like accessing your files remotely) can actually be achieved in a more secure and robust fashion through the use of cloud services such as “Dropbox”.

CGNAT does have some cost and security advantages for end user however as it reduces unwanted traffic (and the associated data use) reaching your modem.

Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean I won't be able to use myQNAPcloud to remotely connect to my QNAP TS-219P NAS (or connect to my home network via other means for that matter)?

Thanks in advance!

Kate.

pwilson
Guru

Re: Question about myQNAPcloud on new ISP (port forwarding)

Post by pwilson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:47 pm

kate wrote:Hi guys,

I apologise for my ignorance on the subject, but I was considering switching to a new ISP when I read the following on their help page:

Due to the world wide exhaustion of IPv4 addresses [we have] implemented a technology called “Carrier Grade Network Address Translation” (CGNAT).

While this technology is totally transparent to 99% of people, it does mean if you want to run a server at home and use a technique known as “Port Forwarding” or “Pin-holing” these services will not work. Most traditional reasons to use port forwarding (like accessing your files remotely) can actually be achieved in a more secure and robust fashion through the use of cloud services such as “Dropbox”.

CGNAT does have some cost and security advantages for end user however as it reduces unwanted traffic (and the associated data use) reaching your modem.

Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean I won't be able to use myQNAPcloud to remotely connect to my QNAP TS-219P NAS (or connect to my home network via other means for that matter)?

Thanks in advance!

Kate.

Yes.

Your ISP is not providing you with a Public IP address, and is using the misleading text above to make it sound like a "feature" of the their service. Find a "real" ISP, or accept these restrictions. I personally would never accept this.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

kate
New here

Post by kate » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks for your reply Patrick! I'll definitely be finding a different ISP in that case.

Thanks again,
Kate.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:11 am

Just to complete this - the same problem does happen if your ISP does implement IPv6 in the so-called DS-lite configuration. Most of these ISP forget that users need their Internet connections for more than just "outgoing" calls to surf the Internet or to http or ftp download something - pretty stupid idea. Fun enough - these ISP still have enough IPv4 addresses, and remove them in favour of "CGNAT". I'd suggest to write a complaint to your ISP about not providing a fully functional IPv4 Internet connection. As the value is definitively lower (as by far not all ISP and mobile providers already offer IPv6), you can't reach your home over the Internet - I'd force them to change the monthly charges. Think about a phone at home where you can call out - but can't be called...

kate
New here

Post by kate » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks for the additional info schumaku! I am going to contact them and let them know this issue is the one thing preventing me from signing up, and is unacceptable for the needs of many users.

Thanks again,
Kate.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”