CloudFlare and MyQNAPCloud error

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
loughor
New here

CloudFlare and MyQNAPCloud error

Post by loughor »

Just starting today, after months of trouble free use since new, I get the occasional error message below when trying to access my WordPress site through the MyQNAPCloud address. I have a simple question - does MyQNALCloud use CloudFlare? I know it can mess up access to sites that have it installed. I have not knowingly been anywhere near CloudFlare.
Error 1001 Ray ID: 1034fea3b29b061c
DNS resolution error
What happened?

You've requested a page on a website (xxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com) that is on the CloudFlare network. CloudFlare is currently unable to resolve your requested domain (xxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com).
I am puzzled. Does this mean anything to anyone? Thanks.
schumaku
Guru

Re: CloudFlare and MyQNAPCloud error

Post by schumaku »

Is the NAS located on an Internet connection with a dynamic IP?
Does xxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com resole to your router public IP address?
Are you convinced the TCP connection is established from your computer and browser to the IP address where your NAS is located?

CloudFlare on myQNAPcloud.com ? Certainly not for the part where your browser/computer does DNS resolve xxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com to an A record - read an IPv4 address, and the browser (or a Proxy in case) does establish direct TCP connections to the NAS.
loughor
New here

Re: CloudFlare and MyQNAPCloud error

Post by loughor »

I do have a dynamic IP but the ISP operates it more or less as a static. It has been known to change now and again when the modem is reset by them and I suppose rarely when I reset it. For information, the modem to which I refer is a Virgin Media Superhub but the routing capability of these and general stability is poor. I bought a dual band router and put the Superhub in modem mode.

As far as I believe, xxxxx.myqnapcloud.com does resolve to the public IP which is maintained by the DDNS service.

The port forwarding was working solidly for months before the incident and once cleared, it has been fine again, without any intervention by me. The NAS has a static LAN IP.

There was no problem with my TF2 server running on a WHS2011 box. Not the same as the NAS, of course, but similar in internet facing services. and port forwarding. That carried on.

I only asked because as far as I was aware, Cloudflare has nothing to do with the NAS, ISP service or QNAP's DDNS resolver. I have only come across it in relation to forum sites where it caused more nonsense than any claimed improvement and was rapidly removed.

Thanks for the reply I think I'll file this under "I have no idea what happened but it has gone away". I asked in case anyone else had seen such a thing before. I guess I was just unlucky that one time.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”