UPnP with Cisco RV042 Router problem.

Post your questions about myQNAPcloud service here.
sabahey
New here

UPnP with Cisco RV042 Router problem.

Post by sabahey »

Hi All,

I'm using QNAP 269L now & also have the problem during enable UPnP Port Forwarding in my QNAP to Cisco Router RV042.

Once I have done to enable the UPnP in myQnapcloud App & the RV042 also response, all of status of each ports are showing "ok".
And all of client users could use all of service such as the VPN Server(PPTP) from outside network.

But another computers in the same network with my QNAP will could not connect to any webpages that there are using the same ports with UPnP(seem like the ports are duplicated).

So, I'm quite sure this problem is cause from the UPnP. Since I have tried to unplug the Lan cable of the QNAP out of the RV042 and reset the RV042 again, the problem will gone.

So could you pls advise me for this function, may be I'm setting something wrong or not ?.
pwilson
Guru

Re: UPnP with Cisco RV042 Router problem.

Post by pwilson »

sabahey wrote:Hi All,

I'm using QNAP 269L now & also have the problem during enable UPnP Port Forwarding in my QNAP to Cisco Router RV042.

Once I have done to enable the UPnP in myQnapcloud App & the RV042 also response, all of status of each ports are showing "ok".
And all of client users could use all of service such as the VPN Server(PPTP) from outside network.

But another computers in the same network with my QNAP will could not connect to any webpages that there are using the same ports with UPnP(seem like the ports are duplicated).

So, I'm quite sure this problem is cause from the UPnP. Since I have tried to unplug the Lan cable of the QNAP out of the RV042 and reset the RV042 again, the problem will gone.

So could you pls advise me for this function, may be I'm setting something wrong or not ?.
Perhaps multiple devices inside your network are attempting to map the same ports in conflicting ways. Easiest solution would be to simply disable UPnP on the RV042 permanently, (it's a security nightmare anyway), and use manual Port-Forwarding on the Router instead. This will prevent conflicting UPnP requests from reprogramming your Router port-forwarding. This will also prevent Malware/Viruses on internal machines in your network from "opening Ports" to expose internal machines to the Internet for further attacking.

UPnP "inside" a network is convenience.
UPnP Port Forwarding on an "Internet Gateway" is simply a Security Hole the size of a Cruise Ship. (IMHO).

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

You can only forward a port to one device. You cannot forward to multiple devices. So for example if you have port 80 forwarded to NAS 1 you can get to the web site on NAS 1. You will not be able to get to the web site on NAS 2 using port 80.

I agree with Patrick. UPnP is a convenience but gives you no control over what is being opened and for what purposes. Better to control the port forwarding yourself.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
sabahey
New here

Post by sabahey »

Thanks all for advice,

So now I have disable the UPnP in myQnapcloud App & also in the function of RV042 as well.
And forwarded all the ports to my Qnap by manually fix ip(192.168.1.2).

But even done for forwarded the ports.
I'm still can not connect to the VPN(PPTP, ip start 192.168.111.1). The error code was showed no. 619(the ports used for this connection was closed, see attached image).

So why only the VPN(PPTP) could not connect but Qfile & https are normally working well ?
It would be great if you can advise me again for this problem.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson »

sabahey wrote:Thanks all for advice,

So now I have disable the UPnP in myQnapcloud App & also in the function of RV042 as well.
And forwarded all the ports to my Qnap by manually fix ip(192.168.1.2).

But even done for forwarded the ports.
I'm still can not connect to the VPN(PPTP, ip start 192.168.111.1). The error code was showed no. 619(the ports used for this connection was closed, see attached image).

So why only the VPN(PPTP) could not connect but Qfile & https are normally working well ?
It would be great if you can advise me again for this problem.
Try using OpenVPN instead.

PPTP is completely insecure, and requires GRE support in the Router.
OpenVPN is secure, and does not require GRE.

I would recommend using the default VPN subnets as documented in the manual. By default QNAP puts the OpenVPN subnet on 10.8.0.1/24. So after the OpenVPN connection is working you can access your NAS Admin WebUI at https://10.8.0.1/ when outside your network. Similarly you can configure your Mobile Apps to remotely access the NAS at 10.8.0.1 as well.

Your Cisco RV042 Router is already a Dual-WAN VPN Router. Why aren't you using it's VPN capabilities instead? If you use the Cisco VPN capabilities, you would be able to access every device inside your network from anywhere. The QNAP VPN services only permit access to the NAS. The Cisco RV042 was a great Router when it was released, but I'm surprised to see any still in use today, as it only operates at 100Mbps on it's internal switch.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

Return to “myQNAPcloud service”